3rd Knife WIP

Rob Nelson

Aloha,

Here is number 3, and last for awhile until I get some steel.

Blade: 1080 from RodneyJ; design from me; HT and Edge Quenched by O'Machearley,
10" OAL, 5.25" blade, 1/8" thick. Etched, 9v makers mark on obverse ricasso. Black/Green G10. Black Receiver Screws, no epoxy.

img2748.jpg

Cut with a dremel, cleaned up with files.

img2808.jpg

Back from O'Machearley! Check out my jimping ... chickened out on a swedge.

img2809.jpg

Mounting the receivers; clamps are our friends.

img2810.jpg

Cross drilling freehand; used a masonry bit on reverse.

img2811.jpg

Finally on ... CTaylor, I have shoes on!

img2812.jpg

Looking knifish.

img2813.jpg

Okay ... so I wasn't real happy with the profile the more I looked at it. This was honestly a hard knife to love. So I bit the bullet, marked it out, and reprofiled it. Lost some of the benefit of the edge quench by about 1/8", but much happier now.

img2814.jpg

9v etching my mark.

img2817.jpg

Voila!

Finishing the scales was a story ... I initially had them much longer up closer to the plunge, then I went crazy and bobbed them back. I initially finished it sort of slab sided, but that was boring, so I went with 4 finger grooves. Mrs. Nelson thought that was boring too, and like the zig zags on the Calvinator, so here you have it.

img2819.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Rob, I really like it! The profile is nice. The etch looks real good. I like your finished handle. I agree, it was too close to plunge line. It should serve well. I told you this stuff was addicting.:biggrin:

Rob
I like it good job! The new profile you put on it gave it a completly different look, awesome job. Can't wait to see #4 get some steel and get going!
Rodney

Thanks guys! Although I have y'all to blame for this obsession :biggrin:

Should have some concealex in soon for a whole new learning experience.

looks great.tell me how the concealex works out. how you like the removable scales?

Bubba, I think mentally I'd feel better if they were epoxied on, but functionally I guess they're plenty secure. I used 2 sets of screws - one for figuring it all out and one for final. The first set are all scratched up, file marks, etc. Pins and tubes are a heck of a lot easier!

good to know. was thinking about setting up the handles like how you have them but good to know its easier just to pin them on. what have you been doing for sheath so far? still up in the air for me, not sure if I want leather or kydex.

Back