Frontier Seax

Church & Son

I love the Seax style blade shape. It was carried and used by the Saxons, Angles, Viking and Germanic tribes dating back to the fifth century.

Here is what I think one would have looked like through the hands of an American frontier blacksmith.
18" overall with 12" sharp

saex3.jpg
saex6.jpg
saex4.jpg
saex5.jpg
saex1.jpg

Iron is from an old truck leaf spring, forged in the charcoal forge and quenched in brine water. Bolster is a scrap copper pipe fitting.
Handle is Maple stump from a dead tree on our place with a rawhide wrap.
Sheath is some of my deer rawhide over boot leather with a simple concho made from a snuff lid and a antler button from the same deer.
I still have some work on the sheath but I was in a picture taking mood this morning......Randy

Last edited:
Thanks Danny, that goes for bothus on the chasing part. There are Seax relics up to 36" long, talk about a handful.....Randy

Beautiful piece Randy!

I really like this one. Has to be one of my new favorites from you. The "sunburst" effect of the color tones in the sheath is really great.

Thanks Grafton. That sunburst effect is a bunch of dried up dye I blended in with varnish and alcohol. Didn't really know what it was going to do on the rawhide, but I kinda like it. And my hands are still a nice orangey tint. Grafton, that's some of my leather tack braiding from a former lifetime.....Randy

Last edited:
Very nice I like it. I planing to make some seaxes to next summer. When i am planing on sell them on a Swedish vikingage market.

Seved

Back