Hello to all and my first question...

Pinto

Hello to all. Im from New Mexico and just starting out at knife making. I am currently building or redoing my small shop as to set up for all the tools I will be using. I am looking at purchasing the KMG grinder possibly monday; however, I am on the fence as what to do about motor selection. My budget will allow me to choose the 1.5 hp with the step down pulleys from KMG but....I do have a 1.5hp motor I inherited from my father. The only thing is...the motor is 3450 RPM motor. I am wondering if that is to fast even if I buy step down pulleys. I see KMG's motor is 1725 RPM and the step down pulleys would slow it down even more. I am assuming a 3450 RPm motor might not slow down enough?

Yeah brother that's too fast.. gotta go with the 1725 RPM motors. You'll find yourself very frustrated running at that speed. You'll be grinding things down you never meant to. Slower is always better, especially just starting out. Spend the extra dough on the 1725.. you'll be glad you did. Even on the largest pulley the 1725 wont be close to the speeds you'll see on that 3450.

I agree with Mr Melton. I have that same grinder that I bought in 2005. I run it with 220 VAC. It costs less to run that way and is more efficient.

Back