Hammer In and Folder In

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
We are putting together our first Hammer In. We will have it at the Midwest Knifemakers Supply, llc warehouse in North Mankato, MN the first weekend in August. We are lining up some bladesmith demonstrators now. We will have at least 3 anvils and 2 forges working. We are also working on having a couple folder makers put on a demonstration.

This is our first Hammer In/Folder In so we are learning as we go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What:

Hammer In and Folder In

When:
August 5,6&7, 2011

UPDATE 7/12/11: Keith Johnson of Bemidji, MN http://greatriverforge.com/ will be demonstrating how to build a slip joint knife. He will be using our SwayBack single blade 3.5". When he is done with his demo build, he will be donating the knife to the American Valor fund raiser here to help raise funds for Wounded Warriors.

And another update tonight:
Les Voorhies of Faribault MN http://www.lesvoorhiesknives.com/ will be demonstrating how to build a flipper pocket knife. Les is also donating his demonstration knife to our fundraiser. Les makes fantastic flippers.

We have two accomplished full time folder makers that are going to put on a great show. Make your plans now.

Time:
Friday August 5th 6pm to 9pm nothing planned - we will be at the warehouse just hanging out
Saturday August 6th 9am to 5pm (or when we just decide to leave)
Sunday August 7th 9am to 3pm

Where:
(at our distribution warehouse)
Midwest Knifemakers Supply, llc
1350 Lake Street
North Mankato, MN 56003

kms map shot.jpg
Required for attendance:
Signed copy of the provided Legal Disclaimer releasing Midwest Knifemakers Supply of liability from accident or injury.
Safety Glasses are required while operating any equipment or forging.
We suggest you bring gloves for hot work and hearing protection.
If you will be operating a grinder, bring a particle mask.

What are we doing?:
Forging knives on one of the 3 anvils with demonstrations by experienced Bladesmiths.
Folder making demonstration.

What is provided:
Lunch of grilled hot dogs and hamburgers both days
1 piece of steel to forge into a knife
1 piece of wood handle material

How much:
$10 per person to cover meals and shop supplies.
There maybe some additional charges if we develop a full track. We don't anticipate any at this point but lightening might strike - who knows.

How many people:
Limited to 25 participants
We are recruiting at least 4 instructors and with our employees that will be just under 35 people.

Attendance by reservation:
You must register and pay your ten bucks in advance to get a spot. Send an email to info.usakms@gmail.com and Jodie our customer service manager will take care of your reservation and answer any questions you may have. We probably won't turn away any walk in's but help us out here please so we have an idea how many are going to attend. After we get one or two of these under our belt, we will know what to expect.

What else is there?:
This is a work in progress. Check back often as we develop a full agenda.
15% off any purchase made from us while you are attend.
Purchase a No Weld Grinder using our kit frame and we will get you help putting it all together. (tell me in advance if this what you want to do)
We will have a factory rep for Burr King there with a new Burr King grinder.
We will be asking other factory or manufacture reps to attend on Saturday.
We are open to suggestions. Send me an email to tracy.usakms@gmail.com

Where to stay:
We will post a list of local motels soon. There are several with in 1 mile of our warehouse.
See listing below

Where to eat:
see below

What is there for the family:
The Mall of America in Bloomington, MN is just 1 hour and 15 minutes away from our warehouse. Bring your family to stay near the mall and just drive down for the day(s).
see below

[FONT=&quot]Added 6/22/2011

HOTELS
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
CHEAP:
Super 8
507-387-4041
51578 US Hwy 169
Mankato, MN

Best Western
507-625-9333
1111 Range St
Mankato, MN

MID:
Comfort Inn
507-388-5107
131 Apache Pl
Mankato, MN

Holiday Inn Express
507-388-1880
2051 Adams St
Mankato, MN

HIGH:
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson
507-388-8555
1900 Premier Dr
Mankato, MN

Grandstay Suites
507-388-8688
www.grandstay.net
1000 Raintree Rd
Mankato, MN

RESTAURANTS

FAST FOOD:
McDonald's
Subway
Burger King
Erbert's & Gerbert's
Arby's
Taco John's
Taco Bell
5 Guys & Fries
Wendy's

SIT DOWN:
Applebee's
TGI Friday's
Red Lobster
Olive Garden
Grizzly's
Buster's Bar & Grill
Panera
Famous Dave's
Buffalo Wild Wings
Mexican Village
Mazatlan
Plaza Garibaldi
Mongolian Grill
Perkins
Baker's Square

ENTERTAINMENT

Rib Fest -The Mankato Rib Fest with live Music is this weekend.

Vikings NFL Training Camp-If they are here this year
Waseca Waterpark (20 miles)
Harley Davidson Store
Riverhills Mall
Springlake Park
Hiniker Pond
Dutler's Bowling Alley
City Art Walking Tour
MoonDogs Games
Rasmussen Woods
WowZone-Food & Games
Northlinks Golf
Valley Fair (50 miles in Shakopee near twin cities)
Mall of America (60 miles in Bloomington in twin cities)
Minnesota Zoo & Imax Theater (70 miles twin cities)
Riverhills Movie Theater
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mini Golf/Driving Range/Batting Cages

[/FONT][FONT=&quot] SHOPPING

Gander Mountain
Wal-Mart
Sam's Club
Shopko
Target
Kohl's
TJ Maxx
Old Navy
Riverhills Mall
Cabellas in Owatonna (45 miles)
Madison East Shopping Center/Strip Mall
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
wish I lived closer,It sounds like a real chance to get togeather with some great knife makers.

The date is good for me Tracy, if you want I can make a flipper and give it away at the end of the weekend.

The date is good for me Tracy, if you want I can make a flipper and give it away at the end of the weekend.

Les, we absolutely would like to see you do a flipper demo. I am listing you as an official instructor..pick up your decoder ring next time you are here...

An update on the local event the weekend of the Hammer In...

The local rib fest kicks off Thursday. My lovely wife has already told me we are going to see Tracy Lawrence Thursday night.
Maybe you will recognize a couple other names for the Friday and Saturday night shows...

Country star Tracy Lawrence makes his way to Mankato and RibFest for the first time on Thursday, August 4.
The 14th Annual RibFest returns to its new location at Riverfront Park! Rib lovers of all ages won't want to miss some of the tastiest ribs from across the country and 3 days of fantastic music - featuring this years' headliners Tracy Lawrence, Big Head Todd and the Monsters and the Little River Band!
Main Stage Line Up
Thursday, August 4
6PM - Hitchville
8PM - Rocket Club
10PM - TRACY LAWRENCE

Friday, August 5
6PM - The Barefoot Winos
8PM - The Nadas
10PM - BIG HEAD TODD AND THE MONSTERS

Saturday, August 6
NOON - Neon and the Noble Gases
2PM - PYPE
4PM - Trent Romens
6PM - City Mouse
8PM - Powerhouse
10PM - LITTLE RIVER BAND
Tickets are $5.00 - day of show only. All seats general admission. Concert rain or shine, no outside food or beverage, pets or grills.

Les, we absolutely would like to see you do a flipper demo. I am listing you as an official instructor..pick up your decoder ring next time you are here...

Cool, I'll start thinking about what needs to be done so I can be sure to finish in the allotted time :)

We have our first confirmed instructor for our Hammer in.
UPDATE 7/12/11: Keith Johnson of Bemidji, MN will be demonstrating how to build a slip joint knife. He will be using our SwayBack single blade 3.5". When he is done with his demo build, he will be donating the knife to the American Valor fund raiser here to help raise funds for Wounded Warriors. Keith is recruiting an experienced instructor smith to demonstrate on the hot shop side.

Paid attendees will receive either one of our 3.5" Swayback kits (the one Keith will be building) to build a folder kit or a 10" piece of CruForgeV and some handle material to forge a knife.

More good news. Our own Les Voorhies will be demonstrating flipper construction. This is going to be good.

update 7/31/11 Roger Cook will be teaching smithing. He is specializing in Puuko style knives. Expect your first forged knife to look a little Scandinavian. He is from so far north in Minnesota, he is almost Canadian eh.

Back