Huon Pine handle

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
A few months back I was contacted by a gentleman from Tasmania.
He commissioned me to do some work for him. :) He was kind enough to send me some of the Tasmanian wood species. First he sent me a few blocks of Huon Pine. The pieces are full of burly, birds eye figure.. The Huon almost looks like yellow cedar burl, sort of! but different.. He also sent me a whole burl cap of SICK Tiger Myrtle..

I finally had a chance to try some of this beautiful wood. The pics dont do it justice. Its got a awesome grain with tight figure and almost looks like spun gold!

Here are a few photos! Thanks for looking and as always comment and critiques are welcomed.

Attachments

• dampened myrtle.jpg
    dampened myrtle.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 112
  • HUON 1.jpg
    HUON 1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 99
  • HHH Knives 024.jpg
    HHH Knives 024.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 119
  • HHH Knives 025.jpg
    HHH Knives 025.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 131
Randy, that's beautiful wood, and a beautiful knife! Just curious, how did you finish the butt of the handle?

Nice work Randy.
The pine has a warm glow to it, reminds me of antique bone handles on some shefield bowies I've seen. I have a few pieces of tight Malee burl, it doesn't even look like wood...more like corian.

Happy fathers day,
Rudy

The both are nice, but that piece in the third pic is gorgeous!

Thats the Myrtle burl Murph. Its so much nicer in person. I hope to cut it up soon..

"Randy,
Great looking knife. They sure have some beautiful wood down there. Wade"

Thanks Wade. PM me your info. Ill forward ya a piece to try on one of your knives! Randy

"Randy, that's beautiful wood, and a beautiful knife! Just curious, how did you finish the butt of the handle?"

Chap, I finish the Back of the handle the same as the rest. shape and sand etc.. Not sure if I understand what info your looking for. Please message me if you have any questions. I would be happy to try and help. God Bless YA!

"Nice work Randy.
The pine has a warm glow to it, reminds me of antique bone handles on some shefield bowies I've seen. I have a few pieces of tight Malee burl, it doesn't even look like wood...more like corian.

Happy fathers day,
Rudy"

Thanks Rudy, Happy fathers day to you my friend! I would love to see that burl! I found some died birch the same way, looks like stone or corion etc.. crazy tight eyes and figure!! God Bless

Thanks Liontribe The design is from a friend and fellow Knife Dog, Franklin.. I sent him a Black hawk blade blank made from some chain he had been given. And he returned the favor with this 1095 blade .. I ground in the main bevels, and HT and handled it. I did make few small changes to the design. But really its mainly his.. :)

God Bless.

were did you find the room to space the three holes thats what i got to now? it looks awsome. how about doing in damascus this design fits you thanks for the knod, i really should post up the black hawk you did such a great job with that forklift chain ill put that up in a day or so randy with my big head on the blade lol

Great looking knife Randy, and your right that wood is very nice.Dave

Back