2nd Knife WIP

Rob Nelson

Aloha!

My 2nd knife done except for some final polishing with a belt due in from trugrit, and a final sharpening with a diamond board due in from Tracy ... hopefully today. This one is for Mrs. Nelson.

Blade: D2 Blank courtesy of RodneyJ. Pre-HT finish entirely by files and sandpaper. HT by Peters, Cryo, 58-60 RC. Sorry I don't have a picture of how it came from him.
Scales: Corian, brass pins and tubes. First time putting scales together with just pins, first time with Corian. Tapered scales from ricasso to butt.
8 3/8" OAL, 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/8" blade.

Mrs. Nelson also insisted it be marked, so after a couple dozen practice attempts on the shop dummy knife, I marked it using the 9V method.

img2694.jpg

img2695.jpg

img2696.jpg

mg2734.jpg

mg2735.jpg

mg2736.jpg

mg2738.jpg

mg2739.jpg

No pics unfortunately of post HT and scale fitting.

img2787.jpg

img2789.jpg

img2790.jpg

img2793.jpg

img2794.jpg

My mark is going to be the Shepherd's Cross.

Last edited:
Nice job chaps.
It looks like you're resourceful and persistent. I know you can keep appointments.:biggrin: I saw someplace that a cell phone charger would work on etching too. Maybe has a little more ooomph than a nine volt battery(?).

Rudy

Thanks Rudy!

I learned alot on this one as well, and there's a bit of my blood in this project too.

... and of course a knife vise would've helped a lot :biggrin: LOL, Betty

Looks great! You're moving along quickly for sure.

Watch out for metal shards with the bare feet though! :what!: :lol:

Charlie

looks very good. sent mine off for HT today the main challenge now is the handle. any tips for how you did the tubing and pins?

Be generous on the tube and pins, they chop/file/sand easy. Lining the holes on the scales up true is still a challenge for me with screws an Corbys because I'm eyeballing the counter drill, etc. But pins are straightforward. I spent about 4 hours on my #3 today fitting scales and final grind ... Which is my first self design from a flat bar of 1080. Maybe done by Sunday?

I'd say it looks real good. I like that handle material.
I dont have a knife vise. I use a bench vise and wood blocks. If I had a knife vise I would feel like I ought to know what I'm doing...and that would be wrong.

Ha! Thanks LaGrange, I was teasing Rudy during his knife vise giveaway so that's where that came from. I'd say right now it's a race to see which breaks first, the el cheapo Chinese vise in the pic or the 2x4, and regrettably its even money right now.

Back