Some WIP Pics

bjohnson

I've been working on 6 blades for the past several months (I work slow because most of my work is done back in my home town where I have access to a shop. So I go on weekends when I can). Here are a few pictures. You can see the rest at http://www.johnsonblades.com/progress/. Comments and Critiques always welcome.

g1_p01.jpg
g1_p07.jpg
g2_p01.jpg
0616012046a.jpg

I made some good progress this weekend on two of the knives. I was able to drill and glue the handles on both knives, and started to shape one of them. I'm happy with how they are coming along so far.

G6_01.jpgG6_03.jpgG6_05.jpgG6_06.jpgG6_08.jpgG6_10.jpgG6_09.jpgG6_04.jpg

I finished profiling of the handle on knife #1. I contoured the handle a bit. It feels nice in the hand. Just need to give it a quick buff and then sharpen it.

0620_02.jpg0620_05.jpg0620_04.jpg

Now it's time to work on the sheath. This is some heavy leather. I had a hard time cutting it out with my shears. I decided to do a basket weave pattern.

0621_01.jpg0621_02.jpg0621_03.jpg0621_04.jpg

All of these pictures have been taken from my phone. I'll take some better pictures when I'm done.

Nice looking knives Ben. The blade profile on the finished knife is my favorite. You're doing a great job, can't wait to see more.
Bruce

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback.
I completed the sheath for knife 1 and finished up the handle on knife 2. It just needs a light buff and sharpening.

0623012005.jpg0623012226a.jpg0624011935.jpgs1_complete.jpg0625011823.jpg0626011302a.jpg0626011430a.jpg

Hello Ben.
Your work looks super and the styles look the best as well as well !!! Are you a hunter? With the fine work you are doing I may be making a mistake to say this but as I see your pictures the blades all appear to be a bit wide for easy use. Are they over 1" wide? I want to help, not hurt. Frank

Frank,
I appreciate your input, and I'm happy to get all feedback . Yes, the blades do get over 1" wide, the widest being 1 1/4". I like the look and feel of a knife with a wider blade, and it's typical of some of my favorite knife makers. I hadn't considered it getting in the way while skinning. You have given me something to think about. I will be sure to get feedback from my customers regarding the width of the blade and ease of use. I know at least one from this batch will get some good use out of it. To answer your question, yes I do hunt. But I only average about 1 deer a year, so I don't get as much practice as I would like. My hunting knife is one that I made, with a width of just about 1". It works fine for me.

They will all get good use even as collector pieces. I am referring to a knife like No.1 Skinners can go very wide. A narrow blade works in dressing down chores; a wide one can be a bit more difficult to get around with. I used to make a lot of those semi skinners. I always thought they could be used to do a complete job with. The work looks great !!!! Frank

Back