anti-scale coating

rasret01

I got some ATP anti-scale coating from Brownells for use on my O1 blades. It seems to work well, except that I have a real problem getting it to stick to the blades before they go into the oven. I have to let the first coat dry and then touch it up at least once and let it dry again. Anybody know what i'm doing wrong?

Dick

I'm kind of having the same issues. I know the product came with instructions that mentioned pre-heating the blades before you paint them or dip them with the coating, but I misplaced the paper.

Either way, I try to pre-heat my blades with a heat gun which seems to help a little, but I'm still not super satisfied with how it's sticking.

ATP641 is a great product if you can get it to stick. Quite frankly, I have trouble with that. Scrubbing with an ammonia based product like windex helps - but it still normally requires a recoat. ATP talks about spraying it on. Who has that capability? For the most part, I've switched to Turco. Much easier to apply. Results almost as good. Watching this thread for hints.

Rob!

we used to use dawn dish soap. really just spread it on the blade and let i dry over night or at less till it got sticky to the touch. then put it in the forge.

Yeah Ihave the same problem I usually heat the blade up till at least warm or so I put it on with a fan going wipe it on hold it in front of the fan to dry it seems to work pretty good but I think I will use foil after I use it all up.

Mine said to heat the blade to 750 and then put it on. I have not used it yet but that is just what the instructions say to do.

I found that if I just wave a propane touch over the blade - probably no more that 125 degrees - it works much better. When you do get the blade covered, the scale problems sure do go away!

Dick

Back