dust collector??? What kind do you have????

Since I'm a cheap skate I use a 10-gallon shop vac with a hoseport made from PVC for the wood ONLY tools. The grinder throws it where ever it wants to go.

At my real job we have 3 of the collection systems like you show in our R&D area and they seem to work well. We work with balsa wood in our shop and if it collects that dust, you'll be fine for what we normally use in the knife world. The only drawback is the motors on them. We now have a weekly PM to blow them out.

Charlie

I have a Jet 708636CK that has served me very well for two years now. Concerning air-moving capability, it's in the same class as the HF model you're looking at, but with a canister filter. Paid $600 for it.
Extremely well-packed. Every piece of hardware was there. And the instruction/parts manual was very thorough. Quality finish, and quality parts (motor, impeller, etc.)
Things like this are what made it 3 times more expensive than the HF. (A replacement canister cartridge is nearly $400.)

I have only looked at the HF model, but a few others in town use 'em and seem pleased.
From what others have said, the HF is a good buy for the money spent.
Get the extended warranty. Most common problem people seem to have is the switch, with some other minor annoyances.

When evaluating a dust collector, the considerations are motor, impeller, and filter.
For the minimal $ spent on the HF, we shouldn't expect much more than a motor and fan, and that's where this unit excels. Considering your cash outlay, you're moving a good amount of air, but have less-than-stellar filtration.

The factory filter leaves much to be desired. Does not filter fine enough and will become a recirculating "dust pump" in enclosed areas.
Most people either route exhaust outside or upgrade the filter to one such as that made by Wynn Environmental.
Or at the very least, use a room filter located close to the filter housing on your DC. (Not suggested- this ends up costing a lot more in the long run.)
Most people eventually purchase the filter sold by Wynn; their filter sets you back an additional $110 + shipping.

With initial unit cost, extended warranty, and filter upgrade, you may still come out below the cost of other units in the same class.

Good Luck,
Rob

The dust dog is a great one too. I love mine. Also, I had a remote switch added but there are also inline switches so that when you turn on your sander, the dust collector comes on too. I think my 10 gallon shopvac is a fantastic value. I removed the big wide floor attachment and mounted it under the bottom of my sander and it really catches micarta and other fines really well. Also consider an air filtration (hangs from the ceiling) that will cycle the air in your shop and clear it out. The dust collector doesn't catch all the fines. We tend to take our mask off after we turn off the sander (and there are still particulates in the air). Anyway... good hunting.

Thanks for the replies. I think i am going to get a more powerful shop vac. I am mainly looking for something for handle material dust. I always wear a mask so its really just to help keep things clean. I found a 5.5 horse power vac, and I am thinking that thing will suck quite well.

thanks again

Will

Back