My first Blade Show - Definitely not my last

Denny Eller

I arrived in Atlanta Thursday evening at 9:11 P.M. and checked into my pre-booked room at a Motel 6 one exit north of the Blade show exit. (10 minute drive to the show). My double room for 3 nights cost a total of $123.09 including tax. Nice clean room overlooking a really neat pool in a park like setting with lots of shade trees.

9 A.M. Friday I picked up Bill T. at the Amtrak station and the journey began. I have been a member of KD since September of 2009 and have made a lot of friends on this forum, Bill being one of my closest. After getting Bill settled into the room we headed to the show. A 3 day pass costs $35 which lets you in at 2 P.M. Friday. An Early Bird Pass (to get in at Noon) costs an additional $25. As we waited in line to purchase our tickets a gentleman walking by asked if we needed VIP passes and gave us two. Cost of the show - $0.00

I had heard that the show was overwhelming but I am not easily overwhelmed. I was, however, totally overwhelmed for the next 3 days and still am. After going non-stop the whole time I might have seen 1/3 of the booths and 1/5 of the tables. It's a big show, guys and gals.

Bill T. was a great guide for the show. A knifemaker and show-goer for 20 years, Bill knew a lot of people. Through him I met some truly great guys that do some awesome work. One of our first stops was at Uncle Aldo's booth. There, in a nice glass topped display case, were the KD Servicemen's Build-off knives!!! Thanks to Murph, all of our knives made it to Blade and as Murph says in another post, Coop offered to make a group picture of the knives Sunday morning! Score a big one for Knife Dogs!

As we wandered the aisles I saw a cooler on wheels loyally following a guy everywhere he went. When he turned our way I realized, "It's Stabber!!!" Like a German Sheperd assisting a blind man, that cooler never left his side during the whole show. Great guy to talk to.

We ran into Wayne Coe early on - the only KD I had ever met in person. I meant to buy one of his "Shine Steins" but I'll have to get one the next time I see him.

I had the great opportunity to spend quality time with Steve Janik, my first real KD friend, Boss Dog, Murph, Brad, Doug Sutherland, Doc Schiffer, Josh Dabney, Bianca George and her husband (Great E.O.D. seminar, amigo) Ed Caffrey, Steve Kelley, Billy Helton JS, Phil Evans, Marvin Winn, Chuck Gedraitis and many others I'll think of later. Thanks guys for showing an old toothless dawg a great time.

P.S. Evenings after the show were spent both inside and outside the Waverly. This was the first time I saw people tailgaiting out of the back of pickups at the entrance to a fancy hotel. One aging Hippy with a glazed look in his eyes summed it up very well. He said, "Wow, man, this is like Woodstock.....with knives!"

Great summary Denny.
Always wish I could make one of the shows for years now but I'm work happy. Probably a good thing in this economy. Sounds like you were impressed and had a good time. I guess I'll put it on my bucket list.

Rudy

Denny,

Had a great time hangin out and making new friends !

God willin and the creek don't rise we'll do it again next year.

Take care buddy, Josh

Thanks Rudy! If I have to come to Massachusetts to meet you I'll feel oblicated to visit IG, too. Don't know if my liver can take that so come to Blade next year, I'd love to meet you.

Josh, I truly enjoyed the brief time we had. If you and the family are ever headed up this way give me a shout. You're always welcome in my home.

It was cool to meet every body,and I couldn't agree more with Denny that Woodstock has some competition. Nice to finally meet ya denny

Hey Denny , You didn't tell anyone about the Gunny ! Tell'em how we almost made R. Lee Ermey cry !

Sound as though you all had a great time.I hope I can make next year.
Good to have the KD family back.

God bless,Keith

"God willin' and the creek don't rise we'll do it again next year."

Josh, Now what does that mean? It has nothing to do with rain..... or rivers.

A more accurate saying would be, "God willing and if the Creek Indians don't go on the warpath."
The saying originated in Middle Georgia and Alabama. The Creek Indians were the more war like branch of the Cherokees.

I'm not which was the scariest, Bill T. encouraging Denny to model the "Tactical Speedo" or Steve Janik offering to model his. I dang near had to search out a "Shine Stein" just to maintain my bearing.

Denny, it was an honor to finally have the opportunity to meet you and Bill T. face to face and shake your hands after all of the conversations we have shared over the phone.

Thanks, guys, it was great.

And a special thanks to Wayne Coe for remembering the correct saying. Lucky for us he survived the Creek Indian Wars with just that one arrow scar on his butt.

The Gunny: Bill and I stood in line to meet the Gunny - a very long line, indeed. Bill was gracious enough to hold our place while I caught Bianca George's husband's seminar. When it was our turn we met one of the finest and friendliest men in the place. Bill told him that he was "America's new John Wayne" and proceeded to tell him about the Servicemen's Build-off that our forum has done. To say that he was moved would be a gross understatement. I thought a tear was coming to his eye. The Gunny said to say thanks to the Knife Dogs, one and all, and commended us for our support of those in Harm's Way. I don't know how y'all feel but it makes me mighty proud to belong to this great group we call the Knife Dogs.

Denny , That was the best moment of the show for me ... And to be there and share it with you , well , that just made it all the more special ..

Semper Fi , Marine .​

Hey Denny it was great meeting up with ya and the other guys. I agree with what you said about the knifedogs. It really did feel like family.
Doug

Denny, The feeling is mutual buddy. Keep in mind Orlando is only an hour away so drop me a line if you'll be "in town" bring the wife on over for dinner and a cold one.

Wayne, Thanks for the history lesson. I got a bit of Cherokee blood in me as one one of my grandmothers was full blooded so I should know this stuff... Also my apologies, I saw ya at your table talking to someone and made a mental note to stop back by and say hello but unfortunately never did make it back. I plan on stayin around awhile so I'm sure we'll cross paths again one day.

Good times fellas... Good times indeed

Josh

Doug, it was great talking with you and hope to see you again one of these days.

Bill, you know I feel the same way compadre. I know you got a lot of great things accomplished at the show and I really look forward to coming to your table next year. And tell Beth I look forward to meeting her. I'm going to write to Robert and send the letter to you. Please thank him again for me and tell him Semper Fi.

Denny, did you use to live on locust st. If so I'm Dennis' brother. I stumbled into this site and seen your name.

Hey Terry, it sure is me! What a small world! How's your family and your mom doing? I haven't been to Amboy since 2003 but my wife Brenda and I hope to come up that way this fall. Welcome to Knife Dogs, by the way.

Hey Denny, it was awesome getting to meet you! Just sitting in the Pit and chatting, I felt like I had known you my entire life.

Kinda thought it was you. Haven't seen ya in 25/30yrs. Did a search for a sharpener and stumbled in, seen your name and USMC avatar. Shell station go west 4 mi. I'm on the corner

Back