01 heat treat process

Jeff Conti

I've been heat treating D2, 154 CM and 440C for several years and am satisfied with my process (although I just started Cryo treating them with dry ice and K1 kerosene).

I am getting back into using 01. My plan is to add a little paper towel in the SS foil, seal it and heat in my Even Heat, heating to 1200 for 10 min and then up to 1475 for 30 min and quench (foil and all) in olive oil (I don't know what to use). I have a second kiln that will be heated to 400 so when the knife is still warm (just able to touch) I'll draw for 2 hours.

I'll remove the foil.

I Think Cryo is great, not to complicated, and gaining a higher conversion is desirable (about 7 hours in cryo) and then draw again at 375 for 2 hours.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

O1 is great stuff. I'm not sure if it benefits from cryo as much as higher-alloyed steels do, please let us know your results. I don't think cryo will hurt it any.

I'm a little concerned about trying to quench in the envelope. The air space may insulate the steel from the cooling of the oil. O1 is more forgiving than carbon steels, but you still only have about 7 or 8 seconds to get under the pearlite nose. If you try it, let us know. You may want to consider some sort of painted on protection like turco or ATP641.

Rob!

Back