Axis Antler

So, I've got a pile of axis antler and was wondering if anyone had any general suggestions before I started hacking them apart. I want to make some hidden and full tang knives but most of all want to get the full use of this material with minimal waste. Also, is the pith very thick on this type of antler?

I use Axis all the time. It has little to no pith. It has very little figure or color but you can dye it with Fiebings leather dye and it looks pretty good. Clean the exterior with alcohol and let it dry. Dye it and let it dry again. Then buff with no scratch pink on a loose buff and it will shine like new money. I use black, dark brown, & med, brown depending on the look I want.

General suggestion #1......
Send it to me.

Every piece I've used was pretty solid. I've got some scales that have minimal pith on them. generally nice stuff.

Rudy

Thanks a whole bunch guys! I was wondering a little bit about the dying part too as most of it is pretty plain looking although one of the anlers looks pretty nice all on its own. Thanks too for the buffing tips. I will try to post some of my results when the knives are done. It may be awhile. Rudy, If I end up with some extra I'll send it ;-)..

Last edited:
A whole pile of axis antler? Man it sucks to be you! :what!:

Seriously, for the type of knife I love to make, Scandinavian, that would be a great problem for me!

Sounds like you have a lot of different options for playing with the antler. I've not tried it, but keep telling myself I should, but axis sands and buffs down to a GREAT shine and just begs for some scrimshaw!

Got pics? :biggrin:

Charlie

i too have a few antlers,the way to colur them sounds cool,i will try it on my next knife.

roy.

Back