Servicemember Knife Build Update

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I have received the majority of the knives from the makers, but a few are still MIA. After deciding to make the drive to Atlanta, I spoke to Uncle Aldo and told him I would like to bring all of the knives to BLADE. He told me he would try to find a display case and room for us to display the knives at his booth. This is not set in stone, so I hope everyone will understand if the display doesn't happen. Hopefully everyone will get the chance to see all of the hard work everyone has put into these.

I will do a final inventory of all knives I have received and get the few sheaths that are still needed completed next week (hopefully) so that these can all go out to thier new owners. I'll update this thread with a confirmation if we are able to display these at Uncle Aldo's booth.

Thanks for the update and for all your efforts, Murph. I feel kind of uninvolved after getting this whole thing rolling but you are doing a hell of a job with it! Have a great time in Atlanta! If there is anything I can do to help things along during these final stages let me know, I'll do what I can.
Thanks to everyone who stepped up to the plate for this effort. The display would be a really great bit of publicity for our sponsors if it works out, they deserve a mention.

We did a little networking today and displayed as many knives as would fit into Aldo's display case. Jim Cooper, "Sharp By Coop", has graciously donated his time and skill to do a group shot of all of the knives on Sunday morning. Hopefully we will have some nice photos soon. Until then.....

9ee26f02.jpg

c428f422.jpg

Sweet, thanks for posting that up, Murph! Nice to know a tidbit of my work made it to Blade. I'm really excited to see this project approach it's goal.

i jsut my 3 finished for a few troops i cant be live i missed out on all of this ( i must live onder a rock or better yet my grinder)

hey murph i would love to be in on the next one thought i would throw out this design that im doing for a army ranger, he took one of my designs and wanted a few things added and this is what we came up with a 3/16 d-2 blade about 5inch cutting edge and almost 10 inch overall with a skull crusher on back, with finger jimping on top of spine, heres a pic its allmost ready for heat treat thanks for looking tell me what ya think.

Attachments

• 100_2297.jpg
    100_2297.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 42
Thanks to all of the members that made this military build happen...

Supplies and Donors:

Aldo NJ Steel Baron - Steel, 3 sheets of A2
Midwest Knifemakers Supply, llc (Bossdog) - Handles G10 enough for 30 blades
Dave at GLWJ Cut out all blades
Peter's Heat treat Brad did it for
Bill Tyc - Hardware (Corby bolts and thong tubing)
Jeff Wemmer at Spec-Ops - Sheaths
Bruce M. -Scales and some shipping
Rudy Joly , Tracy , R. Keith -shipping costs
Jim Cooper , Photo

Makers:

Bill T.
Rodney J.
Big Smitty
Randy Haas/HHH knives
David Murphy
Nowicki
Denny Eller
Steve Janik
Cal Harkins
Justin King
Carey Quinn
Jerry Bond
Gahagan
Rudy Joly
Les George
Bill Coye
SBuzek
Josh Dabney
G. Shahan
Marvin Winn
Doc Shiffer
John Barker
Mike Carter
Tune Up

Thanks for putting that up, Tracy. To date I have not had a complete list of the donors, they (including you) all deserve recognition for this, and my thanks is due to everyone who helped out in any capacity. I love what you guys did with this!

Rudy,

I'm currently waiting on a reply to an e-mail with a shipping address for the soldiers in Afghanistan. As soon as I get thae address, they'll be heading across the pond.

That's good news, Murph, glad to hear they're getting to the guys and gals who need them. Thank you for doing this.

This should be the second to last update from my end.

I finally received the shipping address from a young soldier I was introduced to by our very own Mr. Bill Coye. SPC. Hulett and his buddies are currently serving at a remote out post in Afghanistan. A package will be heading thier way within the next 48 hrs.

I apologize for the delay on this but communications have limited my abilities. I had intentions of getting these in the mail today, but my work schedule was rather hectic and the nearly 250 mile commute to and from work is kicking my rear a bit. The good news is that I have a class in Little Rock tomorrow which should be over around or a little before lunch which should give me plenty of time to get this task accomplished. If not, I will have a large portion of Wednesday available due to a scheduled doctor's appointment which will have me out of work all day.

I'll post and confirm shipment as soon as the package is in the hands of our USPS.

Another update.

Murph sent me 16 (IIRC) knives to send to my boys to give out. Well my buddies rotated back to the US a few months ago, so I just got off the phone with a guy that I was a Sgt in Africa with that is now a 1stSgt.

I told him what was going on and he is going to confirm what the next unit pumping out of Camp Pendleton is and that is there the knives are going. He was quite taken back by the generosity of the members of this forum and promised that they knives would make it into the appropriate hands and into combat very soon.

If he said it, it'll happen. ;) I'll keep you up to date and try to get some pics of the new knife owners (but I can't promise that will happen)

The other batch is somewhere between here and Afghanistan (or already there). They were sent to a Army National Guard Infantry group from Oklahoma who is at a remote outpost in the mountains. Bill Coye introduced me to the soldier via e-mail and phone number prior to them flying over. They may have already received the knives, but I have not received confirmation of it yet (communication capabilities are pretty spotty over there from what I am being told).

I have asked that those who receive the knives send us photos of them with them, but it may be a long while before we see anything.

Edit: In the event that something happens to the packages shipped to Afghanistan, have comfort in know that I did insure them.

Last edited:
Nice job and thanks to all involved. These things take time but it got done and that is what matters.

That's great news.
It's a relief to know there may be a couple dozen smiling faces in an otherwise crappy situation.
Thanks to all involved.

Rudy

Back