suggestions on a grinder.

Cameron Wilcox

I am looking for some advice on a belt grinder to buy that is not expensive ( I am 16 and am currently unable to find a job. so all I can afford is around $100) I know with all I can spend i am going to have to make serious sacrifices as far as quality goes but all I am looking for is something that will last long enough for me to make enough knives for me to get good enough to sell them and buy something better.

also does anyone have suggestions on where to buy steel online or in the Tulare county CA area? i have looked around and cannot find much.

thank you in advance

bubba, I know I chime in a lot on your posts; its only because I'm about 1 month ahead of you in this addiction. :biggrin:

For under $100 new, you're talking a 1x30 in a bench sander/grinder. They're not usually the strongest longest lasting machines, often with some plastic on there. Belts are usually aluminum oxide, although you might find some better quality stuff at trugrit or supergrit. For a little bit more, or maybe used, you might look at a Craftsman 2x42, and budget another $35 for trugrit belts, a piece of tile and some slow cure epoxy for the platen. Some of the books talk about using a disc sander, or a portable sander, or even a sanding wheel on a drill. Personally, I'd rather hand file and sand 10## than try that, but that's me. The 2x42 has revolutionized my grinds, but you can also screw up in a hurry. My recommendation would be to check craigslist, pawn shops, yard sales, etc. for a used 2x42 Craftsman, might could find it for $75 ... I know some makers that still use a 2x42 for knives they sell.

Steel: online, look at NJ Steel Baron (aka Aldo).

p.s. and go ahead and add a breathing mask especially if you're going to power tools. I keep a 3" magnet on the bench under my grinder - it's presently the size of two donuts with all of the steel dust on it.

Last edited:
CHAPNELSON, as long as you keep helping me feel free to chime in as much as you want. You and a few others have helped me immensely and I greatly appreciate it. Also I have seen 4 X 36 belt grinders that were reasonably priced, are they any good for knife making or would they not work very well?

Hi Bubba, Chap is right on. Its tough to get a good grinder with a 100.00 budget. But not impossible.

I started with a 1 X 42 Delta. 189.00 delivered. And I think the price actually went down ver the last few years.. Its still on my bench and I find that it gets used on every knife I make at some point.. I dont grind blades with it any longer. but still use it alot for my handle shaping.

I also recommend looking local at yard sales and auctions or Craigs list. You may really score!!! Also, you can post a wanted to buy add on the forum. Ya never know someone may have one under there bench or in the corner collecting dust they would be willing to give ya for cheap.. If I have learned anything about the knife community its this.. Theres not a better bunch of people you will ever meet. and most will bend over backwards to help out a new guy if they can! Good luck on your search.

God Bless

Hi Bubba, Chap is right on. Its tough to get a good grinder with a 100.00 budget. But not impossible.

I started with a 1 X 42 Delta. 189.00 delivered. And I think the price actually went down ver the last few years.. Its still on my bench and I find that it gets used on every knife I make at some point.. I dont grind blades with it any longer. but still use it alot for my handle shaping.

I also recommend looking local at yard sales and auctions or Craigs list. You may really score!!! Also, you can post a wanted to buy add on the forum. Ya never know someone may have one under there bench or in the corner collecting dust they would be willing to give ya for cheap.. If I have learned anything about the knife community its this.. Theres not a better bunch of people you will ever meet. and most will bend over backwards to help out a new guy if they can! Good luck on your search.

God Bless

thanks, I will try posting on here. and I already have an add in craigslist.

For 100$ you should easily be able to find a 1x30... Harbor Freight sells one for about 40 bucks for that matter... I know of a few makers who have had success with it.

I've seen 2x42 craftsman's on craigslist once or twice for anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks. You may have to search around and be patient though.

A lot of guys claim to have built their own 2x72 for 100 bucks or less, but you have to be VERY resourceful. And it helps to have access to some tools. I'm not saying it's impossible though.

Bubba
If you can swing it I would go with the craftsman 2x42 as Chap has suggested if not you can get a 1x30 from harbor freight for $39 add an extra 20 and buy there insurance and when it Burns up they will replace it. This is what I have used since I started.and yes I have burned up the motor on the first one. Tracy has blaze belts don't waste your money on the belts harbor freight sells. I just bought some blaze belts and was able to grind in 30 min what had been taking hours with the cheap belts. I say cheap as in junk not price. The blaze belts will also help your grinder last longer as you will use less pressure and wont bog down your grinder as bad. I would stay away from the 4x36 grinders. This set up is not ideal but it has worked for me I have been able to sell a few knives and I'm using the profits to build a no weld grinder. Be patient take your time and don't settle for just good enough strive to do better work on each succeeding knife. Don't use the excuse that I can't because my equipment limits my work. If you can learn to turn out good work on substandard equipment just imagine how much you will be able to do when you can afford the grinder you really want.

Last edited:
You might consider Northern Tool. they have a 2"x27" grinder/belt sander combo for under $100 and as mentioned before there's harbor freight, craig's list and
ebay also has some belt sanders. Good luck!!!

Hey Bubba, Check to see if you have a fastenal store near you, you can get flat ground steel from them. I buy alot of my o-1 tool steel there

Bubba, for steel online, check Amtektool.com, they have the best prices on O1 precision ground stock that I have found anywhere, and you can buy as little as one 18 inch piece and pay actual shipping cost only, no inflated shipping. If you check them out and want to buy from them, give them a call, and they can give you the exact amount over the phone.
Hope this helps, Dale

usaknifemaker.com/grinders-sanders-all-kinds-no-weld-grinder-plans-parts-

The plans for this sander are about $25. Any resourceful young man can find box tubing and bolts free or cheap. No welding required but you do need a drill. Also, you'll need the wheels. Maybe more resourcefulness is required for these parts but this machine is one you can grow into. I don't know where you're located but perhaps family, friends or knifemakers in you are would help. If you live in the Puget Sound (Washington) area, I'll help.

Back