Carbon Fiber Durability?

V

VWG

I’m wanting to have an every day carry pocket knife custom made. The handle will be made from carbon fiber and titanium and the blade from S30V. I would like the outside edges of the handle to be made from carbon fiber (examples are the Benchmade 551BK-101 and Spyderco Sage1 Carbon Fiber Handle ~ C123CF) but I’m concerned that if the handle is constructed this way that if the knife where dropped that it may damage the carbon fiber. Or the carbon fiber may also get worn/damaged with everyday carry and use. For instance I know carbon fiber is constructed from individual strands of carbon so with every day carry and use will the edges begin to fray? Can anybody please provide me with information and or examples of the durability of carbon fiber in these instances?
Also, can anyone suggest a good custom knife maker?

Lots of good makers here that you can hook up with, Keith Willis and Steve Janik are two that come to mind. Look around the forum a little there are a number of guys that are very good when it comes to building folders. Carbon fiber is going to be very durable as a scale material and will hold up very well, lots of makers use it. There are even some knives with CF scales that have been made by makers here on the forum, that are being carried by our service men and women in active duty. I would make sure it is good quality CF and not something intended for automotive dress-up use that has a fiberglass core. I sell some aerospace carbon fiber that is top quality, looks great and super tough also. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Bruce

Lots of good makers here that you can hook up with, Keith Willis and Steve Janik are two that come to mind. Look around the forum a little there are a number of guys that are very good when it comes to building folders. Carbon fiber is going to be very durable as a scale material and will hold up very well, lots of makers use it. There are even some knives with CF scales that have been made by makers here on the forum, that are being carried by our service men and women in active duty. I would make sure it is good quality CF and not something intended for automotive dress-up use that has a fiberglass core. I sell some aerospace carbon fiber that is top quality, looks great and super tough also. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Bruce

I am a big follower of the space program so I am VERY interested in aerospace carbon fiber. Please go into more detail about it such as price, availability, what it looks like (could you please send an up close photo showing it's detail?) uses in the aerospace industry, how does it differ from other forms of carbon fiber used for knife scales?etc.
Thanks!

Here is a link on knife dogs of one of my postings with a photo. http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?16303-Carbon-Fiber-Scales The pricing has gone up a bit so you are looking at about $25.00 per pair shipped on the .200" thick material and $30.00 on the .300" material. It is a 2x2 twill 670 carbon fiber with each layer oriented at a 45 degree angle to adjacent layers, has a break strength of around 1 million psi, comes from a DOD contractor. I think the big difference is the intended purpose of this material which dictates that it must meet very high strength and quality standards as opposed to a product that may be intended for automotive or hobby use. Nothing wrong with those as many of them look very nice too.

Back