Second forged knife

grafton

Here is one I just finished. Forged from a bar of 1/4"x3/4" 01 tool steel that a friend gave me. Oil quenched and tempered in the oven. Kind of hated to do that as the oven was the only "power" tool used but I was unsure about trying to temper the 01 in the coals.

The 01 took a very nice edge.

Blade is a little over 6". handle wrapped with stained/aged jute and soaked with wood glue.

Sheath is made from cape buffalo hide with some wrapped jute, old copper tubing, and a sea shell. I took a piece of thin scrap metal and made a sleeve in the sheath that guards the blade and point instead of a leather welt. Thanks for looking!

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

Last edited:
That is very nice work for your second... it has a classic butcher knife shape to it that I really like.

Thanks for the comments.

Randy I used this one:

IMG_5113.jpg

To be honest, I have not even fired up the washtub yet. The clay is dry and I was all ready to start using it when I found this forge/blower combo. I was just looking for a blower but could not pass up the deal.
I got the rust off and painted it with some high temp paint, oiled the blower and she works great. Pretty heavy duty and it all comes apart and the parts fit in the fire box. Nice ash dump built into the air tube, I like it so far. The small area of heat works ok as I am just learning and slow so I am working on small areas of the knife at a time. The washtub design may be better for heating up larger blades.
I am sure I will get the wash tub going before too long.

So far my tools are a homeade anvil (block of steel in a bucket) a good vise, a rebar ash rake, one hammer, one pair of large pliers and one pair of vice grips, a couple files, a makeshift hot cut chisel and a few other odds and ends. Would like to make a decent set of tongs soon other wise I feel like I do not need much else......just more time to play!

Last edited:
The Rail Road and the Military used forges such as that one. Also rivet makers for steel companys. Neat. I like it.......Randy

grafton, just found this post........an excellent knife & I see lots of imagination went into the making of the sheath! Bill.........

Back