Hatchet and Sheep Shear Knife Combo

Church & Son

Hatchet and Sheep Shear Knife Combo (Price reduced- Making Room)

I made this set during the winter, dropped it in a drawer and just got around to finishing it.This set started when I saw a man at a local Renaissance with his hatchet in a pistol holster. Didn’t fit very well and he had cut off the bottom for the handle but it stuck in my mind. So one night I started stitching up a "Hatchet Holster". Then I thought of adding a blade but making the sheath removable from the hatchet in case you just needed it.

combo4.jpg

combo6.jpg

sheep1.jpg

combo8.jpg

This Knife is half of a set of Burgon & Ball sheep shears acquired in a trade. B & B has been in business since 1730 in Sheffeild England. This pair was cracked in the center so I finished cutting them apart, added a handle from another broken knife and a little pewter and rawhide wrap holds it all together. The patent # stamped on the blade dates back to 1830 and they are still working on the same pat. If it works, leave it alone. Sheath is leather from an old leather traveling bag, the hang up kind. Stitched in linen with a twisted fringe welt. I hardened the leather by using an medieval technique called “cuirboilli” or water hardening.

The hatchet is a Stanley from the flea market and was only the head. I found the haft in the barn, fit it, scorched it, scraped it, waxed it and added the rawhide wrap. No stain. The head was in good shape, all that was done was steel wooling with bluing and oil and cleaning up the bevels. Leather is same as Sheep Shear Knife, no dye on either. The water hardening turned it this color. Both were treated with Beeswax.

combo5.jpg

combo10.jpg

combo11.jpg

Could not find a model today, old smoothbore works

combo13.jpg

combo14.jpg

$200.00 $150.00(Making room Sale) shipped US(actual fees international) PayPal(I pay fees) or USPMO

Thanks.....Randy

Last edited:
Back