Elmax WIP and Compare

UncleBillyKnives

IMAG0128.jpgIMAG0130.jpgAs I started my ELMAX build and test project, I got to thinking about the task at hand. With my limited experience, what do I have to compare it to? Almost all my knives have been made using O-1 with a couple of 1095 thrown in. The feedback I have received from family and friends, to whom I have given knives to, is that the O-1 out performs the 1095.
I also have a supply of A-2 that I have been wanting to try. That said, I decided to do my build and test comparison with the 3 different steels. I decided to use a design close to the “servicemember knife build off” design. The 3 test baldes will all be flat ground. I will heat treat the O-1 myself and have then ELMAX and A-2 professionally heat treated by a local heat company in metro Detoit. Included in the cost of heat treat, the ELMAX and A-2 will also be cryo threated.
Here are my thoughts so far:
Cutting out the blades on a band saw. Although very similar, in my opinion, the A-2 cut the easiest, the ELMAX 2nd and O-1 was the toughest to cut.
Rough Grinding. The results were about the same as cutting out the blade. The A-2 ground faster than the ELMAX and O-1. The ELMAX came with mill scale. This is the first time I have worked with mill scale and it is not much fun. Ruined 1 belt taking it off. Once it was off, I though the ELMAX and O-1 ground about the same.

In the photos, the flat ground blades are the test blades. I also hollow ground an O-1 and an A-2 for practice.

I should have the all the ELMAX and A-2 blades back tomorrow. The O-1 blades are done.

Got the blades back today from the heat treat. The ELMAX is on top. it came back with an hardness of 57.7-59.1 Rc. The A-2 in the middle came back at 59.7Rc and on the bottom the O-1 that I did myself at 60 Rc.
The ELMAX and A-2 are perfectly straight. :biggrin:The O-1 warped a tiny bit.:les:

So far, I am enjoying the ELMAX and A-2. Hopefully, tomorrow I can start finish grinding.

Attachments

• DSC00934.jpg
    DSC00934.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 37
Finally completed the test knives.the ELMAX is on top, O-1 in the middle and A-2 on the bottom.IMAG0173.jpg
First i cut small sections of rope.IMAG0174.jpg
the Elmax made 60 cuts and was still going strong. IMAG0175.jpg

Next was my trusty 0-1. Only 40 cuts and it was getting dull and hard to cut. I was a little disapointed!
Last, the A-2. 60 cuts and was still going strong, but i did start feeling a slight drag through the rope. Here aRe the piles of rope.
IMAG0177.jpg

Last, i chupped through a 1X2 of philippine mahogany.IMAG0178.jpg
Post chupping, the ELMAX and A-2 were going strong, but not shaving sharp. the O-1 was dulling down,

My opinion, the ELMAX came in first, the A-2 second and O-1 dead last.

Special thanks to Billy Helton for helping me on the stone wash finish. It came out great with his advise!

Back