Help setting up around a Craftsman 2x42

Rob Nelson

Aloha!

I've searched KnifeDogs 6 ways from Sunday, and there's a lot of great info about using a 2x42, but not in a single thread, so if you don't mind helping a brother out :biggrin:

- Don't let your pinky get near the 6" wheel when its spinning down. (That's a freebie from me.)
- Remove and store side cover.
- Replace the platen with something like this from Tracy: Platen, or a piece of ceramic tile.
- Replace with a Manual Tracking Knob
- Belts ... this is where I could really use some help.

The following are available in 2x42

Ceramic: 60, 120
Zirconia: 50, 80, 120
Gator Structure Abrasive: 80, 120, 180, 240, 400, 600
Aluminum Oxide in practically anything.
Leather - too thick for guard. Would require cutting.
Scotchbrite Med - too thick for guard. Would require cutting.

What would be a good collection to start with? I was thinking 80 for hogging, 120, 240, 400, 600.

Is one material better for coarser grit, another for fine? I noticed ceramic and zirconia don't go above 120 so does that imply they're better for coarse?

Last edited:
I would recommend either the 60 Ceramic for hogging then refine that with the 120 before going to the Gator 240 to get it ready for heat treating. After heat treating go over it again with the 240 then go to the 400. If you wanted to go to a mirror finish then I would go to the 600 grit before going over to hand sanding and buffing. If you want to do a satin finish, I would go to a course Scotch-Brite pad by hand or possibly the same material in a wheel that could be mounted on an arbour for use with an eletric drill. Clamp the blade in a knife vice to work on it with the wheel. It's slower but they also make those wheels for Dremel type tools.

I use a 60 grit Norton Blaze Ceramic for hogging and 220 grit Blaze to refine the grind line for heat treating but that make doesn't come in your size but the other ceramics should be equivalent. They or the Zirconia are more agressive even at the same grit than the Gators or the AO belts. I then to to a 220 equivalent 3M micron belt to clean things up after heat treating, then to the same make in approx 400 equivalent before going to a course Scotch-Brite belt. However, those aren't available for your machine either.

Doug

Last edited:
Aloha!

I've searched KnifeDogs 6 ways from Sunday, and there's a lot of great info about using a 2x42, but not in a single thread, so if you don't mind helping a brother out :biggrin:

- Don't let your pinky get near the 6" wheel when its spinning down. (That's a freebie from me.)
- Remove and store side cover.
- Replace the platen with something like this from Tracy: Platen, or a piece of ceramic tile.
- Replace with a Manual Tracking Knob
- Belts ... this is where I could really use some help.

The following are available in 2x42

Ceramic: 60, 120
Zirconia: 50, 80, 120
Gator Structure Abrasive: 80, 120, 180, 240, 400, 600
Aluminum Oxide in practically anything.
Leather - too thick for guard. Would require cutting.
Scotchbrite Med - too thick for guard. Would require cutting.

What would be a good collection to start with? I was thinking 80 for hogging, 120, 240, 400, 600.

Is one material better for coarser grit, another for fine? I noticed ceramic and zirconia don't go above 120 so does that imply they're better for coarse?

Skip the aluminum oxide unless you plan to use them with wood. I've used them to make knives but they lose effectiveness pretty quickly when used on metal.

I find that I don't use the very fine grit belts as much as I though I would. The speed of the belt, the "bump" of the splice, and my lack of skills are probably the main reasons.

The way I'm working belts now is an aggressive grit like 40, 50, or 60, for the initial grind, then up to an 80 to start the removal of scratches, and then something like 120 or 180. After this I go to hand sanding. I have an orbital sander that I'm going to try using one of these days.

I have a 400 and 600 grit belt but as I said, I find it hard to use them to clean up the bevel. I find I use the finer grit belts for other "stuff", but I can't tell you right now what that "stuff" is.

good luck.

Back