1st Bush Ringer

One

Banned
Here’s a neo one, my first “Bush Ringer“. Ray Richard is going to make a sheath for it.

13-1/2 inch OAL
8-1/2 inch blade
1-1/8 inch ring inside diameter

Blade- 1065 steel
Handle- Walnut wood with woven cotton wrappings
Ferrule with ring- Copper

DSCN2353.jpg

DSCN2320.jpg

DSCN2377.jpg

DSCN2386.jpg

That's a real beauty! Great contrast between the plain and fancy. Can't wait to see what Ray comes up with for the sheath.

Hey Tai that looks awesome. I was checking out another post on ferrules you did. Im going to have to try out some decorative ones as soon as i get comfortable with the blade making part. Awesome work!

Awesome Tia, a question if I may, is the ring to be able to let the knife go and dangle on your finger leaving your hand useable without laying down the knife? Does that make sense? Or is it aesthetics. Mr. Richards outdone himself......Thanks...Randy

Awesome Tia, a question if I may, is the ring to be able to let the knife go and dangle on your finger leaving your hand useable without laying down the knife? Does that make sense? Or is it aesthetics. Mr. Richards outdone himself......Thanks...Randy

Randy, The ring is to put your index finger through for improved (or alternative) ergonomics. You could think of it as a ring shaped "guard".

Tai this blade is amazing and the more I use it the more I like it. I will give a full report when I get back from EOTW outing in Salmon ID.

Curtis

Great looking piece Tai, got a question. Ive seen rings on knives before, diffrent locals diffrent eras. Is there a reason for the ring, or is it estetics?

God Bless
Mike

It's a ring shaped guard.

You can hold it through the ring with a finger for improved grip and a different kind of ergonomics. If squeezed it like a trigger it adds a lot of power and stability to your chopping strokes. I’ve seen them before in westerns on bowies. As I recall, there's one in "Jonah Hex". A drunk cowboy twirls it around his finger like a pistol. I think Hollywood likes them. :) I don’t think it’s really very common though, maybe a bit of a novelty. I'm really not sure about the history of the ringers, although they did appear in this area and seem to be connected with the wild western frontier.

I'm curious about the "diffrent locals diffrent eras" you mentioned and would like to know more about the history of the ringers.

Back