Lookie what the nice UPS man brought me today!

UncleBillyKnives

Randall model 5 with 4" blade. I kind of like it! A lot!

Attachments

• IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0134.jpg
    IMAG0134.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 56
Congratulations! I think every knife guy should own at least one Randall.

Uncle Billy,
Nothing against your new knife (which I love BTW!), but is the stag pinned at all? Or does it have a nut on a pommel I can't see? Everything I ever been taught about knife making says to include a mechanical lock on the tang, then I see probably one of the top 5 best of the best Knife Co. in the world with no pin? I've thought several times about making one with epoxy only, but chose against it everytime, thinking folks would be concerned about it not being pinned. Could it be there and I'm not seeing it? Or could it be some sort of internal pin I'm not familair with?
I use AcraGlass epoxy, I really don't think it will ever let go as long as it is done properly, BUT all it would take is one goof up and it's over, if you tell me it doesn't hae a pin, I think I will do some testing! On one for myself, wow that was easy to come up with another excuse.....I mean, idea to make myself another knife, that took way too long! Thanks Bud, and enjoy it, she's a beauty! I have LOVED every Randall I have ever seen. They are awesome!!!!! Rex

It has a small plug filled in on the end if that stag handle. I think it may be a nut in there. Maybe i will give them a call?

It has a small plug filled in on the end if that stag handle. I think it may be a nut in there. Maybe i will give them a call?

A small plug? That might be covering a nut? That could be a recessed hole, maybe like a pocket hole? I can picture it in my head, that is a very neat and a clean way to construct a knife! I still think that filling the tang full of AcraGlass epoxy would be a sufficient bond, the plug over the nut gives me another idea though, how about a hidden tang with a hidden pin? Simply putting the pin like normal but cutting it short, so it will be bonded under the handles, the problem could come with sanding the handle down, to far. This a very intriguing topic, sorry if I kinda hijacked your thread, I'll leave it now, but if you wouldn't mind would you post a shot of the end of the tang of your Randall? I'm curious of how they filled the end of it, I would think a plug of the same material would be best, but would like to see how they did it, I really wouldn't want completely copy their construction, just the idea of it. Thanks a lot, I still might make one to see how it holds up with out pins. AcraGlass is some awesome epoxy, once it's on there the only way to get it off is to grind it off. But some mechanical locks on the tang would definitely be in order. Thanks Bud, for the idea.

Back