Old Kitchen Knives

Rob Nelson

Bulk trash day on a military base in Hawaii is a beautiful thing. The list of things the local packers/shippers won't pack includes all sorts of handy chemicals for the shop. Sadly, there always seems to be one or two "grudge" piles, where someone is essentially pitching their ex's stuff on the curb (got lots of tools that way). There's always some field gear too, possibly from folks getting out. Folks moving to Japan or other places have to radically downsize. Now I'm not a pack rat, or a penny pincher - I just like to fix things, and get them to people who need them more than I.

So last night I found a box of kitchen knives, various makers, mostly chef's knives. Henckel, Tramontia, lots of Faberware, and a really sweet cleaver from Hong Kong. I am thinking they'd be good for grinding, jimping or file work practice, or even cutting a new knife from. Anybody else do that?

I cut my first 3 knives out of an old Walmart machete that I just had laying around... They may not be worth a darn, but it was good practice for me.

Brad, I did see "The Shank" on your website! I figured you had a little experience repurposing odd things to knives.

Padre,

I've made quite a bit of extra spending money by taking OLD kitchen knives, rehandling, and then selling them... I've also made a bit of pocket money rehandling, shining, and sharpening a few OLD kitchen knives for folks...

You may consider giving some of the knives a "facelift" before you chop them up...

Just my thoughts...

Charlie

Charlie, looking at them today, I think you're on to something. I'm gonna keep the worst out to chop, but clean up a couple. 1 or 2 could be real nice with some tlc!

Charlie, looking at them today, I think you're on to something. I'm gonna keep the worst out to chop, but clean up a couple. 1 or 2 could be real nice with some tlc!

Hey Chap, how much for the cleaver as is, can't have too many of those...

Haha... The Shank is actually from a "stainless" BBQ fork. And it now lives in my toolbox.

Back