"Modern Skinner" kit, my first attempt done

R

redyak3

Finished my first knife kit. I had a great learning experience. I have a broader and greater appreciation for you folks who grind, forge your blades. Hopefully I'll make that step sooner rather than later. I've got a lot of reading to do. The dvd helped me with the bolster work alot. I had a great time, learned a lot, with a lot more learning to be had.
DSCN0563.jpg

DSCN0555.jpg

GREAT looking knife! Regardless of what some may say, even a "kit" knife takes some skill and determination to get everything fit up and looking nice! I'd say you nailed it!

Now, be prepared, an addiction is coming soon... Before long you WILL be dreaming of grinders, anvils, forges, HT ovens, bandsaws, and other SWEET tools to play with!

Looking forward to more of your work!

Charlie

Very nice. What wood did you use.

Doug
Thanks for your kindness everyone!!!
That's some Curly Koa, I got a bit of it in a work trade. Superglue finish is pretty neat stuff...
Yup, I've got visions of forges and grinders dancing in my head.

That Koa is beautiful, it caught my eye right away. Great Job!

What kit did you end up using, I would like to do something like this myself?

That Koa is beautiful, it caught my eye right away. Great Job!

What kit did you end up using, I would like to do something like this myself?
"Modern Skinner" kit from knifekits.com
Thanks, these scales are the second set. The first set had really nice wavy grain, funny they're from the same 4' piece. One of the scales cracked just as I was setting the last pin. I guess I cut the pin a little too long, took a turn and cracked the koa. Thank God for slow setting epoxy. Got everything off and cleaned up, what a good lesson learned.

Back