Integral socket handle machete

Stormcrow

This one is ready to be picked up by the customer. He's clearing a section of his property, which is heavily covered in cedar and briars. This will be seeing action in that regard.

006.jpg

008.jpg

The blade is around 16" long, with an unsharpened false edge. The steel is brand new 5160, multiple hardened in veggie oil prior to multiple tempering cycles. Handle is wrapped in hemp cord with cotton cord double Turk's head knots at the ends, all sealed with black shellac.

Since briars were a major reason for the commission of the machete, the design is pointed more toward slashing than the short, recurved machete with a scabbard I posted recently. It'll still chop like an ax, don't get me wrong!

A look at the socket prior to being wrapped:

002.jpg

001.jpg

It's built for a righty, with the seam toward the fingers.

A closer look at the end of the socket which is rolled over:

004.jpg

I always enjoy making a good using tool. There are subtleties in physics and biomechanics that have to accounted for that cannot be understood fully unless you use tools yourself. And using a good tool like that is an especial pleasure as well. They just kind of sing to you is the best way I know to put it.

You do a nice socket, a lot of work in one. Serious chopper. Great blade shape, I can hear the music......Randy

Thanks, Randy. I like socket handles; done right, they are very comfortable and very strong. I'm looking forward to seeing this one in action; I'm actually going to be helping clear the brush this weekend.

Thanks, Jeremiah. Man, that's been a while back! That's when I was transitioning from making everything from salvaged spring steel to using new steel.

Back