Something a bit elegant - integral handled hunting sword

Stormcrow

Finally finished this up. It's an idea I've had for a while. I've seen blades with integral socket handles and I've seen blades with integral knuckle guards. I've never seen the two together.

It's what a gentleman adventurer would be carrying as he traverses the nuclear-blasted wastelands. The blade is around 20 inches long.

The handle is wrapped in cotton cord that has been dyed with red ink. The ends have Turk's head knots sealed with black shellac, as well as the wooden plug at the end, and everything on the grip is sealed in clear shellac.

Not as sharp as I typically do; unlike most of my other work, this is more of an art piece, and I'd rather not have accidental cuts happen while it's on display. It was actually on display in an art show for a while, not quite finished.

hunting.jpg

hunting1.jpg

A closeup showing that the handle is indeed an integral socket:

hunting2.jpg

And showing the full length of the handle. That's a plug of pecan wood on the end, sealled with black shellac.

hunting3.jpg

I think I'll give it to my brother in appreciation for his help through the years.

He's been very good to me, helping me pay to set up shop and try to make a living pounding out cool stuff from steel. Hope he likes it.

Back