Musings from Chaps' bench ...

Rob Nelson

Forgive me, I'm a Chaplain, so as I've had my very first blank clamped in a vice for the past week, Bible open on the bench, I keep seeing awesome illustrations in the work that have spiritual meaning.

- Don't grind too much off or the steel will warp, crack, when heat treated. (Makes me think of raising my son.)
- Heat treating either brings out the best, or brings out the flaws. (usually the latter for me.)
- Different steels require different heat treating. (Like kids.)
- Every steel has its own grain and color. The more you polish, the clearer it is to see. Damascus is an impure mixture of two completely different steels, and absolutely beautiful.
- Corollary: Forced patinas rub off with pressure, or over time.
- Perfection is in the mind of the knife maker, and he draws it out of the steel.
- Removing imperfections usually requires starting with a heavy grit sandpaper, but the grit gets finer the closer you are to finished. (God is still using a rasp on parts of me.)
- It takes alot of file work and sanding to get it right. Its not a race.
- All that sanding produces a lot of heat, which stays in the steel for some time even after you're done. (Friction produces emotion.)
- You don't want to overheat an already tempered blade, or it'll lose its resiliency and it's edge (usefulness).
- Scales cover a multitude of mistakes :3:

Just some of my musings from last night's bench work. For what its worth, I'm still in the vice myself.

Thanks Chap, I understand.
I listen to southern gosple music on my shop raido and various preachers like J. Vernon Magee and Bob Jones Sr., it keeps my mind on whats realy important, my faith in Jesus Christ.
Post your musings anytime.

Chaps
That's good stuff my dads a preacher so I grew up seeing spiritual illustrations for many things that we take for granted in every day life. Keep them coming

Rodney

Back