Does anyone know Daniel Prentice? And where to buy a Japanese Forging hammer?

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dawgs,
I wanted to ask around to see if anyone knows
Daniel Prentice, or have had any dealings with him? I've been trying to get in touch with him and haven't had a reply on my emails, Thanks Dawgs!!!! Rex

BTW, anyone know a good place to buy a Japanese forging hammer?

He's also over at BF. I don't think he's been posting much of late except something about a calendar. His website is under his profile there.

There's a guy (can't remember his name) over on Don Fogg's forum that I was told is about to make a batch of Japanese style hammers.

There's a guy (can't remember his name) over on Don Fogg's forum that I was told is about to make a batch of Japanese style hammers.

Murph,
You sure about that, I got a message a while back saying he was closing his site down and retiring, at least semi retiring. Do you have a link to that one? The one I've used that was so amazing was made by Nathan Robinson, (could have been Robertson), I've tried to find him, he makes hammers for Old World anvils (.com), but they are not the Japanese style I want. If you've never forged with one, you are missing out, if you have good rebound on your anvil these hammers can go all day! It greatly reduces arm fatigue, to almost zero! The one I used was incredible! I guess if I can get in on the one on Don's site that might be good or I'll have to go to Japanese Wood Worker, theirs are made the old way Japanese way, by son and grandsons of master hammer makers, pretty dang cool if you ask me! Thinking about it, it might be the one, has anyone else tried one for Japanese Wood Worker?

Daniel Prentice is usually over at KF.

These may not be Japanese, but he does nice work.
http://gstongs.com/id13.html

Rudy

Thanks Rudy,
I got an email form him a while back saying he was back making them again but he has moved to Taiwan (I think), don't think I want to pay the shipping from there, plus the time to wait, I'd never know when it would arrive either, that is important for me to know, Thanks for reminding me of him though, he is definitley one to consider. Rex

Thanks Rudy,
I got an email form him a while back saying he was back making them again but he has moved to Taiwan (I think), don't think I want to pay the shipping from there, plus the time to wait, I'd never know when it would arrive either, that is important for me to know, Thanks for reminding me of him though, he is definitley one to consider. Rex

Rex,

Glen states on his website http://www.gstongs.com/ that he will absorb most of the shipping increase and it is usually takes about a week. I've got some of his tongs and need to get some more now that he's back in business.
He's really great to deal with.:thumbup1:

Rex,

Glen states on his website http://www.gstongs.com/ that he will absorb most of the shipping increase and it is usually takes about a week. I've got some of his tongs and need to get some more now that he's back in business.
He's really great to deal with.:thumbup1:

I wasn't aware of that, hmmm, well since he absorbs "most" of the costs, AND I could go ahead and pick up some more tongs, that might be the best way to go, I've talked with him before and he is a super nice guy. His Tongs look great, I don't think I've used any of his before, but I'm sure they've got to be good, he's been around for a while! Thanks Rudy, for pointing that out, I'm at work and don't have a lot of time on-line. I was planning on going to his website tonight and take a look at what all he has. His hammers, if I remember correctly, looked more like a cutlers hammer, not quite the same as a Japanese Hammer, but very close, and from what I've read doable. I know his prices are rock bottom! Most of your custom HAND MADE hammers are over a $100, I think his are around $80, and his tongs are about $40 to $45, I think some ran a little higher because they were longer, but still great prices! I'll check him out tonight! Thanks Bro', Rex

Rex,
It might make it easier on shipping if you only order the head(s), which he will do.
The price on tongs is very doable if you consider the time and effort on making your own.

Rudy

Back