Grinding a Recurve

Rob Nelson

I'm still grinding (files and paper) my first knife, but I'm thinking out in the future, and I saw a recurve design I really liked. Are there any particular things to consider when grinding a recurve? For example, instead of a full flat grind, would it be better to contour the grind to the edge so that there's a little more heft behind the swell on the belly? This will most likely be also by hand, no grinder/sander.

Thanks!

The best advice I have is to do several straight full-flats or sabre grinds and get good at them before trying a recurve. It's not as easy as it looks.

It's easier and pretty standard to follow the contour of the edge, otherwise you'll end up with a much thinner bevel at the belly. Of course, that may be what you're looking for.

James, thanks for the advice. I had a feeling the recurve would throw a challenge; the design I was looking at is sort of a bolo, but not as agressive. The purpose I would think would be to have a little more weight on the deepest part of the belly for chopping chores, thinner at the tip and near the guard for cutting. Sounds like this would be a good one to save for later on in my knife making development :)

So now I have a thought, which might just be a bad idea, but what about a variable grind on a flat profile? i.e. thicker at the belly and thinner by the guard and on the point, but without the recurve to the blade profile itself? Does that even make sense?

Back