Vinegaroon " Homebrew Black Dye"

Church & Son

I've had several e-mails about my "homebrew dyes" this one is the black called Vinegar Black( AKA Vinegaroon). This recipe goes back to Medieval days or the first time someone stumbled and dropped leather in a bucket of rusty water, vinegar just accelerates the process.

Vinegaroon- Apple cider vinegar with iron shavings in it.
Let it sit for a couple of weeks and you have black leather dye that will not stain your hands.
I catch the filings under the vise but instead of iron shavings you can use steel wool. But steel wool has oil in it that you must git rid of. I dip it in acetone and light it off in an old pan . Doesn't hurt to have a lid around 'cause acetone burns big.
I use the plastic coffee containers with the lid, pour a quart of vinegar in, add 2-3 steel wool pads and let it set in the sun to ferment. Poke a hole in the lid to prevent buildup of gases and shake it up every few days. The wool or shavings will dissolve and you have Vinegaroon.

This bucket is about 2 years old, good looking stuff, I add filings and vinegar every couple of months to keep it going.
A scrap of veg-tan
vinegaroon1.jpg

This is 5 minutes later. Gets darker and less purple colored, more of a deep charcoal gray
vinegaroon2.jpg

When it gets to the color you like, neutralize it with baking soda mixed with water and oil it.
This one on veg-tanned
bb1-1.jpg

And this one on rawhide
10.jpg

Vinageroon is not actually a dye, it is a chemical reaction with leather. It doesn't work well on chem-tanned or previously dyed or finished leather.
It's fun to mess with and costs very little, most of it you already have.........Randy

Last edited:
Hey Randy,
This is what I use to bring out the curls/grain in curly maple. Simple concoction and does a nice job. Wade

I have heard of this before, but never knew how easy it was. Thanks for such a great explanation!

You are welcome Brad.
Wade, I have stained maple with this but my efforts were no where near yours. I'm thinking the end result is preparation, I'll get in a hurry and skip all those sanding steps. Have you tried Aqua fortis? I think it is a combination of common acids....Randy

Last edited:
My favourite dye - it's impossible to get the finish uneven! :D

My wife hates it though. Stinks!

Back