blacksmith's knife & other misc. knife

Vance C.

hey, i recently started looking into tribal knife ideas and philosophies, if you wanna call it that, but pretty much what i came up with is- making functional, well made knives using low tech methods, and trying to re-purpose junk into functional tools.

i cant say i use absolutely no power tools in these knives, such as drilling pin holes, and i use a propane forge, not a coal one, and i used JB weld and super glue, but i still consider them neo-tribal, because for me its more about the experience and intimacy of using scrapers and files and stones, and close-spec forging to try to make something unique and fun!

but heres what i came up with-
first is what i think they call a blacksmith's knife. made out of an old file.
IMAGE_128-1.jpg

IMAGE_129.jpg

i tried to do some twisting on the handle, i think it looks pretty good for my first try!

second is just an idea i was messing around with, its 1095 and has black walnut handle i think, with cordwrap details on it

IMAGE_130.jpg

IMAGE_132.jpg

thanks for looking! hope you enjoyed them!

Last edited:
i love making blacksmith knives . they used to be call apprentice knives. after the master was finished with his work he would let the apprentice make small things out of scrap. that he could sale for spending money

haha, they are really interesting, as far as doing actual artsy smithing stuff, im not so good yet, i have not really tied scrolls or anything like that, the only thing i really have done is a simple twist, but i plan on practicing more of the art this summer, also it was hard for me to keep the "spine" of the handle straight while i was curving the rest of the handle, so it doesnt fit the hand as well as it totally could. but at the same time, im happy with it for being my first try!

Back