Symmetric or Asymmetric which do you prefer?

Fred Rowe

Does the human eye find symmetry more appealing than objects that are asymmetric?

I just finished a large dagger which required ever proportion to be symmetric including the sheath.

When it came to making a sheath for this asymmetric blade I followed with an asymmetric stamping pattern on the sheath.
What do you prefer?

Fred
DSC00995.JPG
DSC00997.JPG

I enjoy both. Symmetry is "stately" - asymmetry is dynamic... there's a place for each of 'em. I sure like your photos!

Some folks put a lot of weight on the golden ratio (approx. 1:1.618) - which is kind of a symmetric fractal ratio - if that makes any sense - sort of a symmetry in ever-increasing (or decreasing) sizes.

I enjoy both. Symmetry is "stately" - asymmetry is dynamic... there's a place for each of 'em. I sure like your photos!

Some folks put a lot of weight on the golden ratio (approx. 1:1.618) - which is kind of a symmetric fractal ratio - if that makes any sense - sort of a symmetry in ever-increasing (or decreasing) sizes.

When custom furniture was my focus the golden ration was never far away when it came to design. Playing cards are built on its standard. The photos were part luck accompanied by a small amount of skill.

Thanks for posting, Fred

Back