Smoke and prayes for our friends and fellow knifemakers down south.

Fred Rowe

Smoke/ prayes for our friends and fellow knifemakers down south.

Lets all of us send our prayers and smoke to our friends and fellow knifemakers in the southeastern part of the country.
Tuscaloosa and Huntsville took direct hits in last nights terrible storms along with many other towns and villages. Our hearts go out to you and your families.

Fred

Last edited:
As well as Birmingham, it was an amazing night last night. The shear devastation is unbelievable, we were spared any serious weather last night, but last week it hit REAL close to us, 3 people died not 5 miles from us. This is the wildest weather in the spring or fall, I've ever seen, actually it's never been this bad, ok, it was in 74'. but that was before we had the technology we have now. I don't think those storms were as bad as last nights.

In Alabama alone, the last count I got was, 131 dead, well over 1 million without power, with (several) complete towns GONE! No idea on the injured and of course that number will unfortunatley go higher once they find everyone. It's hard to put into words, how bad it was, the last time we spent the entire night watching the weather, was Hurricane Charlie, I think. It wasn't Tornadoes like these, usually they will hit the ground run a mile or so and it's over, with the funnel clouds doing almost as much damage just passing over houses. Last night was one after another after another, the reports kept coming in all night, with the number of dead rising everytime. While this disaster isn't on the level of Japan or any of the Tsunami's that have killled 100's of thousands, it is incredible to see the power and strength of wind. Hope everyone that was in it last night is doing OK, and BTW has anyone heard form Matt Lamey, he lives outside of Birmingham in Jasper,AL where Don Fogg used to live, I was thinking about him last night when I heard it hit the B-ham area, I don't personally know him, but I do know he is a great knife maker and an even better guy!

How about having all knife makers and fellow Knife Dogs in the areas that were hit just check in, let us know they are OK? And if they have any info on the folks that didn't do so well? How about it? It is sheer devastation in several parts of Alabama, Tenn, Ga. and think Mississippi got hit as well, so if you were in the bad areas last night go ahead and let us know you are OK, Rex

I hope they Find some comfort in thier loss, and may god bless thier soul's and keep and protect the families that Lost everything .

Yes, most definitely. Prayers and smoke sent.

I have a few family members in and around Mobile.
Does anyone know if Mobile was hit?
Called my mom (in Ohio) this morning and she said she couldn't reach any of them.
I hope it's just a power outage and not something worse.

May God bless those who were subjected to this devastation. After seeing the destruction in the south eastern area of the country, what we had here in Arkansas seems more like a light rain shower.

May God bless these families.They say 300 dead,just doesn't seem real.
With so many disasters.......today's technology.....,well it just shows us,
we don't control anything.We should all be thankful,for each day we have
with our families.

God bless,Keith

Yes, most definitely. Prayers and smoke sent.

I have a few family members in and around Mobile.
Does anyone know if Mobile was hit?
Called my mom (in Ohio) this morning and she said she couldn't reach any of them.
I hope it's just a power outage and not something worse.

zbq,
To the best of my knowledge, and recollection, I don't recall Mobile being in the path of any of the tornadic weather, I do believe they did have some rough thunderstorms, but in AL a rough T-storm is a day in the park...unless it is accompanied by In-Line Winds, they can do as much damage as an actual tornado, mostly because there is zero warning for them, no way to tell if they are coming.
After an In-Line wind, the damage most of the time, makes everyone think it was a tornado, the damage looks almost the same.

It could be a problem with the phone lines anywhere up the grid, I would recommend (if they have them) to try to get in touch with them through cell phones, or the internet, only because those 2 communication networks have so many back-ups and the ability to
re-route the connections. Then again if they were hit, ALL comunication could be cut off, that usually doesn't happen. My wife's best friend and co-worker had her house torn down around her, her husband and daughter. They were in the BATHROOM, when they opened the door, they saw the sky! She texted Tina on her cell phone, literally minutes after it happened.

The last number I got of "storm related deaths" was 300, with over 1700 injured, that was for all states affected.
I THANK all of KD for the Smoke and Prayers!

Being Southern, I'm not familiar with "The Smoke", I figured it was related to one of the (I think Minnesota) or local Indian tribes up that way, being part Cherokee, I seriously appreciate ALL POSITIVE thoughts for the folks suffering from the latest weather events. The next line of storms were slated for next Wednesday and Thursday, but that was last week when they were predicting them, so it HOPEFULLY has changed, and this spring will soon be OVER! At least April will be over soon!
Again, I THANK ALL OF My KNIFE DOG FAMILY!!! You all are the best group of people I have ever had the privledge to be a part of, caring the way you all do, amazes and humbles me.
Quick story, Michelle, (Tina's friend that lost her home), was telling Tina last night, that people were showing up with chain saws, trying to help clear the roads, of course there were a few that just wanted to see the damage, gawkers that have no life and get comfort in other peoles pain, not there to assist anyone, just trying to ride around and see the devastation. Then there are the real ALABAMIANS, that cleared her driveway, and yard of all the trees that were down, WHILE THEY WERE GONE! She was in tears, telling Tina that she had know idea who did it, then people started showing up all over the place with chain saws and other equipment, working to get the roads clear, she said complete strangers were working all other their neighborhood helping out where they could. She said she had complete strangers driving up to offer her cases of water, and boxes of food, that they had went and bought with their own money, some was new and some was food they had stored themselves. When people step-up and give of themselves unselfishly like that, I'm in AWE, it is amazing to see how wonderful some people can be, gives me hope for humanity! Thanks so much for y'alls concern, and Murph, a special thanks to you for texting me right in the middle of it all to check on us, I appreciate it so much BRO`! Rex
I'll see if I can attach some pics of Tuscaloosa, some I was sent by a friend.

DSC01712.JPGDSC01715.JPGDSC01717.JPGDSC01724.JPG

Just 10 miles from Gadsden, two friends found, one in pieces in a tree, the other dead across the street. Parents of one are still missing. Our local stations have been quite active in showing the tremendous damages. Not all the news and deaths are making the network coverage. 20 miles south of here, a nursing home was hit. Most did not make it.
The tornado will go down in the history books as one staying on the ground for the longest time and distance. It has been said that it started in MS and never left the ground in Alabama all the way to GA. It was over a mile wide in spots. I have not spoken to one person that does not personally know someone injured, killed or missing. The numbers will continue to climb as efforts shift from rescue to recovery. I pray for all affected. We were spared here in Gadsden with just some high wind. I personally picked up trash (receipts and shingles) out of our yard that came from more than 150 miles away. Also pulled a twig smaller than an 1/8'' in diameter that was stuck in the ground over two inches deep without being broken. I am sure prayers will be appreciated by all. My family is just stunned, safe and grateful, but sad at the same time. I have a good friend in one of the towns hit. I tried all day to reach him without success, finally reached his wife and broke down in tears just hearing her voice.
Thanks to all that were and are continuing to help with the rescue and cleanup.

As well as Birmingham, it was an amazing night last night. The shear devastation is unbelievable, we were spared any serious weather last night, but last week it hit REAL close to us, 3 people died not 5 miles from us. This is the wildest weather in the spring or fall, I've ever seen, actually it's never been this bad, ok, it was in 74'. but that was before we had the technology we have now. I don't think those storms were as bad as last nights.

In Alabama alone, the last count I got was, 131 dead, well over 1 million without power, with (several) complete towns GONE! No idea on the injured and of course that number will unfortunatley go higher once they find everyone. It's hard to put into words, how bad it was, the last time we spent the entire night watching the weather, was Hurricane Charlie, I think. It wasn't Tornadoes like these, usually they will hit the ground run a mile or so and it's over, with the funnel clouds doing almost as much damage just passing over houses. Last night was one after another after another, the reports kept coming in all night, with the number of dead rising everytime. While this disaster isn't on the level of Japan or any of the Tsunami's that have killled 100's of thousands, it is incredible to see the power and strength of wind. Hope everyone that was in it last night is doing OK, and BTW has anyone heard form Matt Lamey, he lives outside of Birmingham in Jasper,AL where Don Fogg used to live, I was thinking about him last night when I heard it hit the B-ham area, I don't personally know him, but I do know he is a great knife maker and an even better guy!

How about having all knife makers and fellow Knife Dogs in the areas that were hit just check in, let us know they are OK? And if they have any info on the folks that didn't do so well? How about it? It is sheer devastation in several parts of Alabama, Tenn, Ga. and think Mississippi got hit as well, so if you were in the bad areas last night go ahead and let us know you are OK, Rex
Don't know about Matt, but Jasper was hit hard. We have family there and still have not reached them, a lot of the roads, rural and others are still closed to all traffic. Power is out from Albertville north to TN because of the TVA suffering so much damages to infrastructure. They say it will be at least a week before it can be restored. The restaurants in Gadsden are overflowing because of all the folks north of us without power. Local service stations are out of gas, because the stations north of us have no power to pump.

Just was on the news, 440 folks still missing and unaccounted for in the city of Tuscaloosa alone. It just boggles my mind.

I live in Jacksonville, Alabama and the areas around us got hit pretty hard. We have nine dead in our county, some of them close to us. We lost power for about twenty minutes and no damage except a small limb down. Two of our friends houses are completely gone, nothing but the foundations left. The destruction is unreal. Some areas look like a war zone.

Tom, are you the Tom that worked at Coosa Machine in RBC?

I have been wondering where you were and what you were doing now.
Jim Todd
RainGard

No I never worked at Coosa Machine. I retired from the military, 4 years in the USMC and 16 years in the US Army, worked for the Dept. of Defense for 20 years. Been retired since 2002 and still making knives.

Glad to see that my Alabama friends made it through the storms. The death toll continues to rise, and it is not over yet. There are so many still missing. This kind of event touches so many in different ways.

I was fortunate. Within hours I received an email from fellow knifemakers (Twin Blades) in Georgia asking if I was OK. Then, I got a couple of phone calls.......... one from England, and one from Belgium. They just wanted to see if I was safe.

That means so much to me. Someone far, far away was concerned for my well-being. These were our brothers from the knife community.

We are truly a special group of individuals. Don't ask me why, because I can't explain it, however, you guys are the salt of the earth.

I appreciate each and every one of you. Please say prayers for those who have suffered, and will continue to suffer.

May God Bless each and every one.

Robert

May God give the survivors the strength and courage to carry on. May the Holy Spirit comfort the ones that lost family and friends. I wish them all the best.

Back