My first knife WIP!

Livnoutdoorsxd9

Hey guys, I'm getting close to an end product so I thought I'd share what I have so far. I got this blade from ebay and found the lacewood at a Woodcraft Co near me. Here's a pic of the scales first glued and bolted on:
photo1ru.jpg

I roughed it in with a rasp, then moved onto the 1x30 with 80 grit then to 120 to get it close to the shape I was looking for. I then moved to 220 by hand and thats where I'm at now. (resting/ flexing my fingers at the moment) Here's a couple of pics of what I have now:
img0463rd.jpg
img0464f.jpg
img0465xw.jpg
img0466rc.jpg

Here's one with a little water on the handle to bring out the wood grain
img0467ft.jpg

I plan to take the metal finish down to a satin finish instead of mirrored. Now that I'm getting closer to the end, I was wondering what to use for a finish that will hold up well and show off the lacewood.

Thanks for looking!

As stated at the 68 very nice. What d'ya use for the tong hole insert?

First off,Thank you for your service.
I think I would first thin my handle down,other than that,
it looks great.As far as the Lacewood finish,if you have not
yet put anything on it,it looks as though it is stabilized.If so
I would sand it up to about 1000 grit.If it is not stablilized
I would use something like Linseed oil,Danish oil,or the like,
after sanding,just wipe it on,untill it will not take anymore
Looks like the fit up to the bolsters is good.

God bless,Keith

I think you may have me confused with someone else, I am not one of our valued service members, but I'll pass your gratitude to my brother who is.

Looking at the handle from the top, it does look a little chunky, and I initially planned on thinning them out but with the handle being short in my hand I find it a lot more comfortable how it is now. Thanks for the tip!
I'm not sure if the wood is stabilized, I bought a board from woodcraft. I'm considering a superglue finish on the handle, any opinions?

no wood crafters dont sell stabelized wood they do sell pre cut knife scales.so i would go with what keith said. wo,woh another wis guy hooked looks good

I ended up going with a super glue finish, was that a bad move? So far it looks like everything is ok. If you didnt see it in the other thread, heres the completely finished pic. Hello to another 'sconnie by the way. Hooked is a good way to put it, I'm working on another as we speak haha
dscn2932.jpg

Back