A couple I'm working on.

javan.dempsey

Here are two I'm working on atm, completely power tool free. Actually I guess that's not 100% true since I do run a light in my forge at night and have a little vent fan also to keep the smoke to a minimum.

Otherwise though, just a hand crank, Lively style forge. Lots of hammering and a little bit of file work. I didn't pre-shape these at all, the big one is from a 1/4" x 1.5" 1084 bar, and the small one started out as a 1/4"x1" 5160 rectangle about 2" long.

I've got a bit of straightening to do on both of them, and I'm ready to HT. These are only my second and third knife ever, so bear with me..! The part I find the hardest currently, is forging even bevels on both sides. I know to angle the work a bit, but I still just seem to do better on one side.

IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

I had a hell of a time trying to punch a hole in the little one by myself, and when I finally got my girl to help me, I broke my home-made punch..! =\

I need a post drill..

Have you tried draw filing the bevels in between heats? I'll hammer a while then stick it in the vice and file both sides. Annealed iron files pretty easy when black hot. Just don't forget it is still very hot . Nice blades. Keep heatin' and beatin' and normalise often to keep the stresses down......Randy
And I wish I had a light

Randy,

No, I certainly haven't been, but that makes total sense.

I only get to work a few hours each night atm, so I pretty much just anneal every night when I go to bed. Nothing wrong with doing this repetitively right?

Nothing bad I can think of, releases stresses after hammering. Of course, my methods of heat treating are very " primitive" ( I hate that word but haven't found another) The KD heat treating forum has tons of information and some of the members are giants in metallurgy and nice guys......Randy

Just own it Randy. I like "primitive", I flaunt the word when describing my burgeoning skill.

One of the appealing aspects of the Neo-tribal philosophy to me, is rejection of the arrogant belief that all "advancement"; scientifically, industrially, or technologically, is inherently "superior". I reject that absolutism entirely. "Primitive" used to be a term wielded by the social elite to deride persons and their methodologies, ironic seeing the majority of people living in the "modern" world, couldn't handle the effort and skill required to be primitive.

So personally, in regards to craftsmanship, I regard "primitive" to be a complement. /end rant

;)

I'll just be triple normalizing, quenching, and tempering, in my charcoal forge on these two. Even though I've got access to a computerized HT oven.

Javan, just found your post; great knives! Randy Church has an excellent web-site w/works-in-progress pics & information. You're on the right path & I can't wait to see these two knives finished. Bill.........

Back