First blade kit on the way

R

redyak3

Another brand new rookie here. I just ordered the "Modern Skinner" and I'm excited to start the project. I hope the passaround dvd comes along. I was thinking about scales, I have some Hawaiian Koa on hand from past projects. Anyone use koa, is it suitable for scales? Figured and good quality wood.
Thanks
DSCN0493.jpg

Koa is very suitable for scales. I'm not real familiar with the properties of Koa. You may want to have it stabilized.

nice looking lumber there, i see you found some coin left after the score on 68f! I've got my scales gluing up right now. getting ready to shape as long as i can find that elusive thing called free time

Koa is very suitable for scales. I'm not real familiar with the properties of Koa. You may want to have it stabilized.
It's been air drying for 9 years now. I'm hoping it's good.
Looking forward to seeing your project L9...Good thing this hobby isn't near as costly as BRD...

ETA: Pardon my ignorance on stabilized wood... Just read some on www.woodstabilizer.com
I hope my koa is okay...

Last edited by a moderator:
The kit from knifekits.com arrived on Saturday, quality looking stuff to my untrained eye. Leaning on ordering the DVD that's being passed-around, I'd like to get a good base before too long. I normally go the "learn on the fly" route but I'll do it different this time. Still trying to decide on whether to use the bolsters or go w/o.
I read the DIY stabilize tutorial, very cool. So much information here, Thanks all!

If I may offer one tip, redyak3, it is: take your time. There is no deadline you have to meet. The faster I go the more mistakes I make. Measure twice - cut once.

Eh Brah, take pictures of your work ... that's what I've been advised. Forces you to slow down maybe, and you get to share with the rest of the pack.

Aloha, Chaps

attachment.php

Here is some fiddleback curly Koa.
The finish is several coats of CA (crazy glue). It is applied with your finger in a rubber glove, sanded to 1200 then more coats and final sanded to 2000 then buffed on a slow clean wheel. This holds up like tempered glass and can be repaired if necessary.
This knife was named "Guitar Hero" and accompanied a custom guitar to it's new owner. The components are Koa, Ebony and pearl buttons.

Steve

guit hero_2264.jpg

attachment.php

Here is some fiddleback curly Koa.
The finish is several coats of CA (crazy glue). It is applied with your finger in a rubber glove, sanded to 1200 then more coats and final sanded to 2000 then buffed on a slow clean wheel. This holds up like tempered glass and can be repaired if necessary.
This knife was named "Guitar Hero" and accompanied a custom guitar to it's new owner. The components are Koa, Ebony and pearl buttons.

Steve

View attachment 22977

As both a knife maker AND a bassist....

That knife is phenomenally excecuted! I'm in awe.

If I may offer one tip, redyak3, it is: take your time. There is no deadline you have to meet. The faster I go the more mistakes I make. Measure twice - cut once.

Sage advice here from Mr. Eller. Take your time and enjoy it, I know how easy it is to get caught up wanting to see the project finished but rushing will cause mistakes.

BTW Nice knife there Steven!

Thanks for the advice, I'm all ears... Beautiful knife Steve. I'm going to take my time on this. Decided to use the provided bolsters and have begun to profile before install. I saw that being done on a thread on knifenetwork, sounds like a good idea. I've decided to order the knife making DVD that's making the rounds. I'll take my name off the list when I order. There's no suitable epoxy here on the Hilo side. All I could find was Devcon 1500lbs/5minute stuff and some Loctite brands. I'll order the Systems3 stuff from Woodcraft.
Lucky you have a Woodcraft Store Chaps!!! glad to see another in 808
again thanks
Al

The "Modern Skinner" was the first kit I ever built. I think it's about as good quality as you'll find in a kit. I liked it so well I later built another one. The first time I used the bolsters, and I didn't really know out how to peen pins properly yet, so the bolster pins show a little. That's the learning process. On the second one I went bolsterless. It's great both ways. Good luck.

The "Modern Skinner" was the first kit I ever built. I think it's about as good quality as you'll find in a kit. I liked it so well I later built another one. The first time I used the bolsters, and I didn't really know out how to peen pins properly yet, so the bolster pins show a little. That's the learning process. On the second one I went bolsterless. It's great both ways. Good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement! I really like the shape, hope to get a lot of use out of it. Peening the pins properly is what prompted me order the fixed blade DVD from knifekits, especially since I've never done it. Ordered brass pins for the koa scales, will use the provided steel pins for the bolsters. Ordered the Devcon 2 ton epoxy as well. Patience....

Back