Entry level tool list

Rob Nelson

Aloha,

I'm military, move often, and deploy oftener, so I'm not at a point yet where it makes sense for me to set up a decent shop. But if there were a few key pieces that you'd recommend, I'd appreciate it. I do have some tools (drill, dremel, hand tools, etc.) as I like to be my own handyman, mechanic, carpenter, gunsmith. And I grew up with a machine shop and carpentry shop in the family, so I claim to know enough to avoid injury.

I know I need to get more files and more sandpaper ... recommendations?

Also looked at some of the 1"x30" sander/grinders? Any suggestions? Space is a premium, right next to $, and this will be a very part time endeavor.

Anything else?

Mahalo,
Chaps

The smallest sander I would consider would be 4x36. Ryobi makes a good one for around $100.00.

There isn't much you can't do with this if you take your time and don't need a second income.

I know some makers here that achieve very good flat ground blades on this machine. Keep in mind, if you stick with this you will want to upgrade but I still have one that gets used daily.

Good luck,
Steve

I used a 4x36 for a few years before I upgraded, and I managed to do a fair amount of work on it, but it eventually died screaming and smoking. The Craftsman 2x42 is a better choice for knifemaking IMO and I think the cost is between 100$ and 200$.
An edge scribe or height gauge is good to have for scribing edge lines, and a dial caliper is helpful to check your edge thickness, whatever method you are using to shape.
If you already have a basic tool kit, then my suggestion would be to get the things you already know you need, and let the rest speak for itself as you go along. Having tools is nice, but it is easy with any technical hobby to end up with an expensive pile of tools that you don't use, because you bought them before you knew what you really needed.

Thanks for the recommendations! I have a caliper (I reload&cast) and scribe. Oddly enough I don't have a vise. I'd rather not get a heavy duty vise given my government issued nomadic lifestyle - would a clamp on vise, parrot vise or something like that be strong enough to push against for filing?

My wife rolled her eyes when she saw me pricing sanders :)

Another vote for the 2x42. Watch for sales at Sears. Get a ceramic platen liner or make one out of hardened steel, bathroom tile... anything nice and flat that doesn't wear out quickly. Ignore the nasty AO belts at Sears and order good ones from Tru-Grit or Supergrit.

I'm not sure about clamp-on vises, having never used one. I do know you can do a lot of filing work with a length of 2x4 and a couple C-clamps. It will be as sturdy as the table, bench or truck bumper you clamp it to, cost $5-10 and you will want it later anyway for hand-sanding.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations! I have a caliper (I reload&cast) and scribe. Oddly enough I don't have a vise. I'd rather not get a heavy duty vise given my government issued nomadic lifestyle - would a clamp on vise, parrot vise or something like that be strong enough to push against for filing?

My wife rolled her eyes when she saw me pricing sanders :)

Good to know a fellow caster! Been casting close to 30 years now.

Regarding vises, I understand you not wanting a 60+ lbs vise. Simply go as large as you feel comfortable with.
Your vise selection will be determined by the size and nature of your projects.
I would look at a medium-sized bench vise; something in the neighborhood of 10 lbs or better.

Jaw capacity is a large issue here- you want one with enough capacity to handle the widest item you work on + jaw pads.
Fortunately, for most knifemaking purposes we do not need large capacity.

Another (vise) issue is versatility. For many people, it's nice to have the ability to have the vise adjust in angle, rather than the worker adjust angle of the file stroke.
This is what makes items like the Parrot Vise, PanaVise, etc. very attractive.
At the risk of upsetting current owners, I have to recommend staying away from the Parrot Vise. At first it seems like a good concept- the same mechanism that tightens the jaws also locks the rotating head assembly. But the quality on mine was so poor that even though the jaws would tighten, the head would still rotate. Others have stated problems with cheap castings (broken mounting flanges, etc.).
So if you want that type of versatility with quality and durability, consider the PanaVise line. Check it out on BossDog's page here: http://www.usaknifemaker.com/tools-hand-power-panavise-line-c-96_46.html

Or later down the road, when all of this becomes more an obsession rather than a hobby (and it probably will), consider purchasing or fabricating one of these: http://www.usaknifemaker.com/knife-vise-swivel-base-p-1715.html

James Terrio made excellent mention of a simple 2x4 with C-clamps. Simple and cheap, yet very practical, strong, and durable.

Even an el-cheapo medium-duty bench vise will work for the overwhelming majority of your needs, and it doesn't necessarily have to be permanently mounted. But I would try to avoid the clamp-on vise that uses a single screw underneath for mounting- these types of vises tend to shift under heavier pressures.

Back when I worked on jobsites, I needed a portable setup. My bench consisted of a 24"x48" plywood top resting on breakdown sawhorses. The little 3-1/2" bench vise was permanently mounted to a 8"x8" piece of 3/4" plywood, which was then C-clamped to the benchtop.
The "portable vise setup" (vise, platform, and C-clamps) weighed less than 15 lbs, and all of it fit in a flat rate box. Had less than $20 invested in it.
Simple as it seems, that method served me well for near 20 years.

BTW, if SWMBO is rolling her eyes about the grinders/sanders, don't forget to mention the increased efficiency and harmony you're trying to bring in to the kitchen. You know, sharper kitchen knives (to make it easier on her), better-looking kitchen knives (for her), higher-quality kitchen knives (for her), knives made by you (expressly for her, of course), etc.
If you're the primary kitchen dweller of the family, then please disregard the above, as I don't know what else to say except hopefully she's the outdoors type!

On a final note, THANK YOU for your military service.

Good Luck,
Rob

Guys, thanks for all the great replies! I have read some bad reviews on some of the cheaper vises. I've got a 2'x3' steel bench made of angle iron as my workspace, which I could clamp a 2x4 (got a pile of scrap) on to as a filing surface or a small vise for that matter. Planned on buying some clamps anyway for putting on scales; a couple more wouldn't hurt!

For vises, you might look into something like a pana-vise, or other adjustable knife maker's vise that clamps to a work bench or table. I have a cheapie "tool shop" brand that I bought from menards for around 10 or 12 bucks, and it's surprisingly stout. Although, it will only be as stout/solid as your work surface that it's clamped too, as will any vise of course.

All that being said, they're small, light weight, portable vises that, for their size and weight, definitely lend a helping hand for a variety of tasks.

Wound up getting a 4 1/2" bench vise for $24 at Home Depot, bolted it to the workbench, and I'm in like Flint. Thanks for all the input guys!

S/F,
Chaps

Does it swivel on its base? If so, be careful about over-tightening it once it's in position. The cheap cast bases of those vises are notoriously easy to break. Other than that, you should be fine. Cut some leather (old belt, whatever) and glue it to the jaw faces so they don't mar your workpiece. Have fun!

I make plywood jaws for my vise and interchange them with the steel jaws as necessary. The wooden jaws are easy to make and quick if you make a few pairs at a time (they don't last forever). Shortening the screws that hold the jaws in makes changing them out very quick, I keep the right size allen wrench tethered to the bench nearby. Padded jaws don't work for everything I do and glue residue on the jaw faces would drive me nuts.

Back