1095 Kit Blades?

Rob Nelson

Aloha, I am brand spanking new to knife making. Today I cut a small knife out of a SkilSaw blade using my dremel, put an edge on it, and have been working it with a stone. Springy steel, not taking an edge Did learn about the relationship between a choil and where you put your thumb for cutting leverage; the steel is too thin or I'd think about jimping. ... it was fun anyway, and it cuts (if not well).

I'd really like to try out a kit knife, learn about fitting the scales, etc. but I'd really like to put something together that's a little beefy like a full tang thick blade made of carbon steel. I even thought about picking up a CTD RUK and replacing the scales with micarta just to learn the whole process but wind up with a heavier blade. Does anyone sell pre-finished heavier blades? I'm thinking something like a Ranger RD6 or Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt style blade.

Mahalo, and I'm looking forward to learning all I can.
Chaps

Chaps I dont have any pre ground steel but If you have a way to work the steel I can send you some 1080, micarta and some pin stock for the handles. just shoot me a pm
and Thank you for your service
God bless
Rodney

Jantz carries a wide sellection of finished knife blades as well as the material that you'll need to finish them. Most are stainless steel but some are carbon and even damascus steel.

A little interested about the springy steel that will not take an edge. How did you heat treat it?

Doug Lester

Sounds like he just cut the blade out and ground it without heat treating it. Assuming he's talking about a modern circular saw blade: while the steel used on circular saw blades is pretty hard, I wouldn't expect it to hold much of an edge. Hence the carbide tips...

Steve Janik is doing a pass around with a video of how to's on kit knives. Check his forum here or PM him. If you go with any stainless blades from Jantz or Texas Knife Supply I highly recommend buying the 440C knives only.

Appreciate the replies! I did not heat my little project blade, although as this is a scrap project, any suggestions? I used my dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the shape, yard tool sharpening attachment to give it a bevel, then some sanding wheels to clean up the bevels and edges, and the polisher to take off some of the coating. Then I ran it through the kitchen knife sharpener to steepen the edge, and then worked it on a stone for a bit. I took it to work today and put a few more strokes of the stone on it over lunch. At the end of the day, its just a shank, but its my shank!

Chaps,
I have a pass around DVD on the new maker forum. Sign up for a look.
Also, if you want a kit blade that you'll have forever, check out the "Modern Skinner" at www.knifekits.com.

Steve

I guess I misread your post. I thought that you had cut it out of 1095 using a skill saw blade and a Dremel tool. Heat treating would be a shot in the dark but I guess that you could heat it with a torch, if you don't have a forge, and quench it in vegatable oil. Then temper it in the oven at 400 degrees for two, two hour cycles. Or you could just chalk it up as grinding practice, which might not be a bad idea.

Doug

What kind of a blade are you looking for? I might have something I could send. I support our troops and being a Baptist minister, I appreciate your efforts to save souls.

Back