New Design "TC1"

BRad704

This design is the result of some brainstorming between me and the buyer and the CAD guy that waterjet cut the blanks out for me.

I got it rough ground last night. Need to go back and take it to 320 before heat treating this weekend (fingers crossed). Its gonna end up being flat black and getting a kydex sheath with molle locks to go on a Maxpedition pack.

The blade is only sharpened for about 3", so it will be legal for him to carry it. I am thinking about fileworking the section just below the blade.

2011-04-14%2020.48.46.jpg

2011-04-14%2020.49.24.jpg

2011-04-14%2020.50.23.jpg

Lots of views and no opinions... I don't know if that's good or bad...

I think I have decided that the 90degree corner where the guard would be, needs to be rounded off to match the hole.

I think it's a pretty cool design. I do agree that I would round off that 90 degree corner. I think it would flow better with that hole right above it and it might be easier on the fingers. Of course I'm just a rookie so my opinion is only worth what you paid for it.

I throw my opinion in. I like it. I always have a pack knife close at hand when hiking. A finger hole make perfect sense for a rapid deploy. And YES make it so you can grab it properly while its in the sheath, I have several production ones that are not. They stay at home too.

Thanks guys... I have 3 more blades JUST like this one, and 4 more with a chisel tip, but the same handle. I think I will finish them all and do some satin, some black and a few tan for a tan digicam sheath and a few grey for an urban camo sheath...

I will certainly make the hole accessible for deployment. Why someone would cover that up is beyond me...

I like the design, but I agree with the others' opinion about rounding the corner.

"The blade is only sharpened for about 3", so it will be legal for him to carry it"??? You guys really need to move to more knife friendly states.

Thanks guys... I have 3 more blades JUST like this one, and 4 more with a chisel tip, but the same handle. I think I will finish them all and do some satin, some black and a few tan for a tan digicam sheath and a few grey for an urban camo sheath...

Aloha! Could you post up a pic of your chisel tip version?

I'm always nervous about finger hole knives, they never seem to fit my hands just right, so at some point I'd like to make one. I also like the chisel tip idea for a pack knife; we picked up a piece of junk chinese rostfrei folder with a 1" chisel tip combo edge, and its been one of the most used edc knives for my son.

Mahalo, Chaps

this is the only good picture I have of the chisel type for now. Since this pic, all 3 have been heat treated and tempered (at least on the blade sections), and I have started clean up on them so that they can get a flat black duracoat finish soon.

2011-04-21%2022.45.07.jpg

Thanks, looks nice! Is the chisel edge easier to grind?

How far back does the edge go on the one on the right? It looks like it comes all the way back to about 1/2 way across the finger hole, but I didn't know if that was the lighting.

Mahalo, Chaps

Thanks Chaps...

the chisel one is flat ground on the front edge, convex ground on the tip and then on the back side, there is about 1/2-3/4" of flat grind to get the edge to the proper thickeness without running the cutting line SO far off center.

the one on the right is convex ground and I have since added a V-notch about where the other knife's blade stops, as for the transition, I blended it out as best I could to make the whole piece try and flow together... so as for "sharp blade section" it is about what the middle knife is as well...

Back