The things we do for love... Also a wood quiz!

CTaylorJr

Wife to me last night: Honey, I'd like you to make a paring knife of yours for each couple coming over for the Team Building party on the 29th."

Me: "What paring knives?"

Wife: "You know, the ones you give to your BBQ friends."

Me: "Um, sweets, those are from blanks and are not MY knives".

Wife: "Who cares, I'd like to give each couple a knife like that."

Me: "Problem is those are not my knives, I bought the blanks with some other stuff."

Wife: (batts eyes, puts on sweet voice) OK, you don't have to engrave them with your name, I just want you to give them a knife."

Me: OK sweetie, whatever...

I bought a "BOF OF KNIFE MAKING STUFF" at an estate sale last year for $20.00. I got a LOT more than the 20 bucks I spent in wood, tools, and steel, but I also got 72 paring knife blanks that are stainless steel. Now, they hold a KILLER edge, and they are pretty handy to have in the kitchen. Problem is; they aren't my knives.

I've scaled quite a few of them and have given them to friends as trimming knives for BBQ and such, but I have never put my mark on them, and I don't plan to.

But, it looks like a few more of the critters are going out to the wife's coworkers. My plan is to let them know that all I did was put handles on them and sharpen them up. (the edge of the blank is FLAT, all have to be worked quite a bit to get an edge).

This is an example of the blank:

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

So, you've listened to my complaining for this long, how about a test? Tell me what the wood is I have cut out to use for the blanks... Oh, for the record, my wood bandsaw DIED on me and I had to cut all of these with a coping saw!

I figure I should at least have a little fun seeing who has a good eye! Pair 1 is on the left with pair 11 on the right in the picture.

DSC_0965.jpg

Charlie

Last edited:
Charlie, I think I know what a couple of them are but my best guess on a few of them is 'tree wood'. I'd love to play but that's the best I could do.

Carey

Tree wood would be a correct assumption! LOL

Time to sand the backs and get liners on these critters...

Charlie

Being a newbie to knife making I'm going to take a stab at it...
1- Curly Maple
2-SWAG- Mesquite?
3- No clue- Hickory?
4,5,6,7- Leopard wood
8-Laminated wood like Dymond Wood
9-Black Palm
10-SWAG- Bubinga?
11-SWAG - Walnut?

Like walking in the rain and the snow when there's nowhere to go
When you're feeling like a part of you is dying
And you're looking for the answer in her eyes
You think you're gonna break up