Blade shape input , ideas? damascus and mokume hunter

M

matt trout

]I just finished this one and it is a blade shape I have been playing around with a while. It started similar to the old 1950's Puma great white hunter and has mutated over the years. This one is 264 layer 1095 and 15n20 ladder pattern, 40 layer copper and nickle silver mokume, bocote scales.

It is a triple grind (3 blade angles) after forging to a rough shape. The sweeping lower grind gives an unusuall loook to the ladder pattern.I added the simple finger grip grooves on this one.

Would like to hear where other folks would take this blade, and the entire package. The handle shape gives lots of secure grip options but does require removing much of the material beneath the scales to get a balance on the fore finger.

Sheath is 10 oz leather, hand stitched and tooled.

OAL- 9 inches Blade length is 4 inches. Apolgies for the photo quality trying to keep them small.
Thanks,

Matt
Mathias1Bedit2.JPGMathias1aedit1.JPGMathias1Gedit2.JPG

Matt,

I'm a Puma White Hunter fan - have several German made ones and have copied them. On yours, I would probably clean up the top line by removing the bump of steel on top forward of the ricasso, since the thumb notch has been established on top of the bolster and this make it look more like an original Puma. Also, assuming you have a grinder, I would try to sharpen your grind lines some and maybe add a choil if the edge-to-ricasso area would benefit from one. The sheath is really nice work and like it a lot. Just what I would do- I'm a new maker and trying to make my knives look right too...

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Constructive feed back seems hard to find these days. I have made this style with out the raised area at the end of the bolster but this customer wanted it exagerated and the grip grooves added across the bolster. Seemed odd to me also but felt suprizingly good when finished. I did leave about a quarter inch choil to allow for using the forward finger grip but my inadequate photo ability doesn't show it. I am always wrestling with looks right verses feels right. The customer took an active role in the design and even came over to watch me forge the damascus. This was one of three styles he requested. I am attaching a photo of the second blade in this order. Similar forward grip style. Not neccessarily the way I would have laid it out but he was estatic with the outcome. I will look for some photos of other similar baldes I have done. Thaks again for the feedback. Matt
[/IMG]Mathias3Pedit1.JPG

Ok- that explains your first design- customer's always right, and it's hard to judge a knife without getting a feel for it. I like the looks of the second knife better- the sweep of the spine that gives it a better look, like a Buck Kalinga. Keep posting your work and I'll try to get some done here soon- I am 'remodeling' my garage to allow for more bench space but got 4 done today that were started by another retired maker- all I did was final sand polish the edges and handles but they look pretty good. Paul

last of the three

Here is what was to be the final blade in this order. It is my favorite of the three. Same damascus and mokume but a small 7 in OAL drop point. Probably my favorite all around carry knife. After picking these three up the customer called wants some more, different styles.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

M21M1edit.JPGM23.JPG

Matt, very nice work and sure customer will love those. That small one is pretty sweet. Is that your damascus and mokume? I've been reading up on Mokume and would like to find good way to make it besides melting quarters.

Paul

Mokume

Yes, I make all my damascus. mokume, mosaic pins and vaccum stabilize my own handle material. I use sheet copper, nickle silver and occassionally brass in the mokume. Usually 40-50 layers and weld it like damascus. Here is a photo of a recent ladder pattern billet 14 inches long and about 2.5 wide.

Matt

mokume7edit.JPG

Back