How do you make a quench tank?

zbq

I would like to make a quench tank that is able to preheat the oil.
I am thinking horizontal, rather than vertical.
Are there any plans/tutorials on this?
Advice?
Do's- Don'ts ?

Thanks

Last edited:
I keep it simple, myself. I weld up a piece of 6" tube to a piece of 1/4" flat plate. When I'm ready to HT, I hit the tank with a weed burning propane torch (from harbor freight) until I get it to the temp that I want.

Last edited:
I made mine from a 4" PVC pipe epoxied to a sealed closet flange (for a toilet) for the base.

Put a hot water heater element in the bottom and lined the inside with a piece of furnace vent to keep from accidently melting through the PVC.

Pretty basic and works like a charm.

I've used a roasting pan for a horizontal quench tank. It was of rather heavy guage metal. I don't do much edge quenching any more, but that could change, and use a turkey frier for a vertical quench tank. I have also JB Welded some 1 gallon paint cans together for a quench tank. The interior rims at the mouths give ridgidity to the assembley but they are a little tricky to get lined up. The ends can be cut out with a can opener. I smeared plenty of JB Weld over where the ends were glued together to make sure there weren't any leaks.

Doug Lester

I bought one of those really large electric roasters at wally-world. It holds about 3 gallons of oil and still has room for agitation without sloshing. Just plug it in and set it on the temp you want your oil to be and when your kiln/forge is ready your quench oil is ready. It's cheap, comes with a lid, and its ready to use right out of the box.

Excellent idea with the roaster! I'm using an electric skillet right now and its not quite big enough for some of the blades I would like to do.

Back