looking for input on 80gallon air compressor

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I am in the market for an 80gallon air compressor. I'm looking for any comments on what you have had luck with or what to look for..:les:

Boss,
I had a Campbell Hausfield Iron Horse for quite a while and for the money it served me well. Did some sand blasted HDU and wood signs when I had my sign biz. Also used it with different blast cabinets do powder coated parts. The only time it would get short winded was on large wood signs but it was feeding a 1" hose with a 1/4"-5/16" nozzle. Overall it was pretty good bang for the buck. If you have loads of money or want to use your home equity line of credit, anything by Gardner-Denver is great! Just my two pennies worth.....next:biggrin:

I have an Ingersol-Rand, single stage, 60 gallon, 5hp....and wish I had a larger one.

From past experience I can tell you one thing to avoid like the plague is direct drive compressors! While in the military I purchased 5 direct drive compressors, and NONE lasted more than a month.

The compressor I mentioned above will handle most of my needs, but is woefully lacking when it comes to running my blast cabinet....about a minute's worth of blasting, then I have to let the compressor catch up....it's time consuming and annoying.

If you want one that will last, make sure the actual compressor is cast iron....many of them these days are aluminum, and will blow the head gaskets in short order....worse are those that have cast iron lower sections, with aluminum heads....dissimilar materials that expand/contract at different rates, and everything leaks after a short time in service.

Back