Newbie $ about material

H

Hunterdan

Newbie ? about material

Hello,I have a fixed blade knife and I'm going to make some new scales. I'd like them clear.Can someone direct me to which liquid product can be molded and will be tough without being too hard?
Thanks,Dan
They will be approx. 1/4" thick and 5" long

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about liquids but have you considered lexan? I believe it is or has been used in aircraft windshields so it's tough and it's fairly easy to work.

Carey

I've tried lexan or something similar before and I believe it chipped/cracked too easily. I am planning on trying some epoxy next to see how it holds up as scales. I'm also doing a search for some cutting board material in liguid form. It seems tough yet soft enough to take impact and not shatter. Thanks for the replys and suggestions.

Just curious, what purpose are you using this knife for?
It must be something pretty severe for lexan to "chip/crack too easily"....
Are you sure it was actually lexan?.....plexiglass and lexan are two different things...lexan is a brand name...
I saw a demo where 3/8" lexan will withstand a .38 mag bullet impact without cracking or chipping.
Regular plexiglass isn't any where near that impact resistant....

You should be able to get real Lexan at any place that replaces windows and deals with glass.
Check the yellow pages....

I saw a damascus knife made where the maker wanted to show the pattern of the steel in the handle. He a transparent section of water buffalo horn, it think it is what is refered to has honey horn. It looks gray on a whole horn. It was not absolutely clear but you could see the pattern of the damascus through it rather easily.

Doug Lester

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely look in to lexan. I imagine what I used was plexiglass. I am making a knife that will be for just about everything. The throwing ability of this knife is what makes it important for the scales to be of a strong material. Thanks again for the help.

Back