So I've been sitting on this for over a month...

Jericoh

... and finally got pics and some more details, so I can finally let the cat out of the bag. It's kinda long, so be forewarned.

I made a knife for a member on another board, we'll call him Mark. He got a SEER Mk IV with green and black wood grips, it was a thing of beauty. This is what he got, it's the one on the bottom:

SEER.jpg

Well, Mark took that knife to a trip out to the woods with a friend of his. We'll call him Bob. Mostly because I don't even know his real name and I have to call him something. Bob fell in love with the knife on that trip to the woods, and wanted to take it with him when he went to Afghanistan, where he has one of those private contractor jobs. Mark being the good friend that he is, gave Bob the knife. Mark is a helluva good friend because I don't think many people would just hand over a brand new knife, but he did.

Fast forward a couple months, Bob is trotting around A-Stan doing his thing. He has the knife hooked on his vest in a spot that is just outside the coverage area of his plate. One day, some shitty @@@@@@@ takes a shot at our hero Bob. Actually took a bunch of shots at our hero Bob. At least 2 rounds of 5.45 x 39, fired from about 30 yards, hit the knife and the knife gave it's life to keep the rounds from perforating Bob.

Bob is just fine and continues to do good things to bad people in a bad place.

Here is the aftermath:

IMG_04611.jpg

In this one you can see at top along the spine where one round hit. At least one more, destroyed the middle of the knife. The wood grips exploded off it leaving the screws in place.

IMG_0463.jpg

I got chills when I first read the email, then had to just sit and twitch until I got more details.

It blows my mind when I think about it, all the mechanisms that had to be in the right place at the right time for that knife to be there at just that moment. I'm really glad one of ours didn't die that day.

Wow, amazing, call it what you will I call it a miracle. some were there is a mother praying like crazy for her son to come home safe. Thanks for sharing this.
God Bless
Rodney

God Bless! That isn't the craziest thing I have heard or seen, but it's up there on the list. Not the end use you had in mind for that knife, I would bet, but a worthy use just the same. Thanks for the freaky story, glad your friend's friend isn't wearing any new holes!

I'm with Franklin on this one. I would be framing the remaining pieces and keeping them as a reminder that someone was looking out for me.

Thanks for sharing the story.

The pieces are actually on the way back to me, with a small bag of sand from the spot where it happened. I'm going to take photos and get a better look at it and send it back to him. He already has a possible replacement that he is field testing right now.

Great story. Glad Bob was not hurt. Perforated people are a bad thing. I have to ask, is that covered under warranty? :les:

Looking at the design, I would never have thought the knife would have a problem with stress fractures. :biggrin:

Seriously, I'm glad that Bob came out of the encounter on the top end. When you correspond with him, please give him my best and say thanks for his service.

Carey

Wow! what a story. Goes to show you there's a higher power watching out for us. I would sure frame that knife.

Larry

Oh my. That is amazing. I'm glad he is ok, and I'm glad your knife had the integrity to stop a bullet. Well done :)

Back