#8 just needs to be sharpened

BRad704

Guys, please give me some open and honest feedback on this one... I'm always open to constructive critisism. :57:

I'll post some more pics once I get the sheath done...

1/4" 5160
8.5" OAL
4" blade
Black canvas micarta handle
3/8" Steel tube pins and lanyard hole
Full flat ground, all free-hand on the Frankengrinder :)
320 grit satin finish

2011-04-05%2014.42.42.jpg

2011-04-05%2014.43.24.jpg

2011-04-05%2014.43.09.jpg

2011-04-05%2014.44.20.jpg

Looks good to me. Looms like a great all around design that you executed very well. Should make for a great field knife.

Thanks guys...

Murph, that's what I was going for. A good all around camp/general field use knife. Good belly for skinning, nice edge for slicing/food prep, and enough handle to slide down and chop if necessary. Plus its got enough weight to feel indestructible, without being overly "heavy".

That is a good looking blade , I like the simplicity of the overall looks. makin them babies by hand is a chore . Some folks dont seem to realize how difficult that is . when I do a art polish on sword it takes about 2-3 weeks , and not much foolin around either . very nice work .... Bubba

Nice work, BRad! Looks like a hefty every day user. Personally I would have the scales a bit more contoured and thicker, but that's just me.

Hi Brad

I like it, nice overall design, I like the blade shape.
I am not one for very flat handle scales. I prefer to contour them a bit more.

Cheers
Rick

I thought about using 1/4" Green Canvas micarta, but since the steel is already 1/4" thick, I would have been removing lots of handle anyway. It doesn't feel awkwardly narrow at all when its in your hand, I guess only time will tell if I made a good choice.

I started on the kydex sheath last night, but I think I underheated it. The form didn't take nearly as sharply as I had hoped, so I think I will redo it this weekend.

What weight of Kydex are you using? SOme dislike the thinner 0.06 weight, but I find that it molds the best and offers the best retention.

I've got several sheets of 0.08 to work with. I think it will be a good match for a knife this heavy, but I can definetly see the 0.06 molding better.

I like the design really well.
It should do the things you designed it to do very well.

Just curious, are the tubes in the handle steel...or stainless steel?
Did you flare them or just epoxy them in?

The tubes are regular steel... I plan on cold bluing them to prevent rust (once I find my missing bottle of cold blue).

I tried the sheath again, and I still think I'm not getting it hot enough. Gonna put the rivets in it like it is now, then reheat a bit hotter and re-press it.

Back