Is this ok?

I had the same problem with Canola oil, I think you've got it too hot, or too cool, I can't remember what causes it, I knwo that when I changed to the McMaster carr quench oil I haven't had the problem. I don't think it hurts the blade,...but I could be wrong! Sorry, I'm not muh help here, can anyone else chime in?!
Rex

Roger if it is something caused during heat treating I'm sure that Kevin Cashen one of the mods in the heat treating forum can tell you what it is and what causes it I have read some of his articles on heat treating he is truly passionate about what he does. Sorry I can't be of more help. Buy the way that's a nice blade I'm sure your friend will carry it with pride

I had the same problem with Canola oil, I think you've got it too hot, or too cool, I can't remember what causes it, I knwo that when I changed to the McMaster carr quench oil I haven't had the problem. I don't think it hurts the blade,...but I could be wrong! Sorry, I'm not muh help here, can anyone else chime in?!
Rex

Roger,
I forgot to mention that you can sand it out, you may have to start at a lower grit paper than you usually do, but it will take it out, I've had some do that same thing, didn't notice any problems with the HT, either. Rex

Back