Recurve Hunter(?) from Hell - now Camphor Scented

Erin Burke

Knife #17 - Recurve Hunter(?) from Hell - now Camphor Scented

{Cross-posted w/ BF}

Good morning dogs. After much pain and suffering, I am offering up photos of knife #17.

Some Stats:
Length: 9-15/16"
Blade: 4-3/4" (Tip to Choil)
Steel: Differentially heat-treated 1095 (from Kelly Cupples) Flat-Ground
Handle: Stabilized Camphor Burl
Guard: 416ss w/ mild steel spacer

5578819034_663a6da6ed_o.jpg

This knife may just have been my biggest PITA project to date. I had to re- heat-treat it twice. The first HT had a lousy hamon, but I ground and polished the edge too thin before I found that out. So when I did re-HT #1 I ended up with ripples in the edge. I did some reprofiling to get back to a straight edge and ended up with a recurve shape in the process. The third HT is the one that stuck.

After cleaning up the grinds from the final HT, I ended up Elvis-ing the grind on the back side of the blade (not shown in this photo). The edge also thins out more than I would have prefered at the belly of the recurve. Finally, I found out that one of my 400-grit trizact belts is frayed a bit and ended up adding some fine scratches just behind the edge bevel when I was sharpening. :mad: They are fairly visible if you zoom in.

This is the first time that I've tried a curved guard... it seems to have turned out OK.

The handle is stabilized camphor burl finished with tung oil. It is actually the second handle fitted to this knife. I pooched the first handle trying something new and ended up making it too thin. I didn't like the look or feel of the old handle, but just couldn't bring myself to start over. Fortunately, during one of the dry fits of the old handle, I forgot to add the guard spacer when hammering everything together and ended up with a several pieces of shattered camphor all over the shop. No choice but to start over. :thumbup: It's much nicer than before, but if you look close, you can see a small divot in the handle just behind the steel spacer. Grrrr.

I'll be happy to not have to look at this one for awhile. ;)

Erin

Last edited:
Do the three holes in the blade signify the special triple-heat-treat procedure? ;)

Hahaha... no, but that will be my story from now on. :biggrin:
They were just part of my original design sketch. The blade seemed a little plain on paper, so I added some subtle spice. :20:

Thanks guys. The specs have been updated w/ OAL and blade length info.

Pieter... the camphor burl was interesting to work with, but it did finish out nicely with the tung oil.

Keith... #18 is just a simple kitchen knife. #19 & #20 should be really fun though - smaller, flippier, and possibly done in batches. :34::shush:

Back