First one I'm proud of

John C

attachment.php

I've made a few but nothing i wanted to show until now. This site has been a wealth of info and help. I'm still having some difficulty shaping the scales to my liking so any help would be appreciated. Would love to hear any criticism on finish design etc. Thanks for looking.

Specs:
ATS-34
Blade is 3 1/2 from tip to scales, overall length 8 1/8
Scales G10
Hand rubbed on flats and scotchbrite belt on bevels
DSC_1345.jpgDSC_1338.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1342.jpg
    DSC_1342.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
from what I can make out in the picture, it looks like you did a good job with that one. You have a right to be proud...

I made a lot of KSO's before I got one looking that good. The plunge is a little uneven but not terrible. You could maybe relieve/round off the lower/front part of the scales next time, to avoid a "hot spot" where the scale meets the ricasso. I don't put swedges on knives that small because I like to lay my finger along the spine sometimes, but that's just personal preference.

Now the good news... I like the design, it has nice flow and looks comfortable and useful. 3.5" is a great blade length, seems like it doesn't get in your way but you still have plenty of edge. The guard is just big enough without getting in the way, the finger swells aren't too radical, and the thong hole near the bottom of the handle is a nice touch. I like the thumb-ramp too, and the jimping looks like it will provide gription without cutting your thumb. Very well thought-out.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the replies, Ive found that this is a very addicting hobby. Speaking of the swedge, I have to say that was the most difficult part of this knife. Trying to keep both sides even was very frustrating.

Wow, that looks nice! I am brand new to this, and seeing that gives me hope.

Please forgive the newb question: between the guard and the blade there's a small arc. I know its not a choil, but does it serve a practical function? I notice on some designs its incredibly small, and on yours its a little larger.

Mahalo,
Chaps

Back