Kinda bummed....

Godspeed

Last Friday a friend of a relative was helping out with a silent auction for a new "no kill" animal shelter, and asked if I might want to donate something. So I picked out what I considered to be one of my best looking knives (a small drop point, 1080 flat grind, oak scales, mirror polish) and let her have it. She asked me if she should put a reserve on it, so I told her $35. Long story short, not only did it not bring the $50-$100 I was expecting, It didn't even get one bid!

I'm trying to tell myself that it was just the wrong kind of crowd, but still yet.... It's a little discouraging.:49:

Well, keep in mind that it's probably hard to sell Chihuahuas at a knife show too. Had you donated a box of customized dog leashes and collars, the price would have probably gone through the roof. I wouldn't sweat it.

Been there, done that with a different product and crowd. I decided that if I and my wares weren't something the crowd would regularly seek out, I would just say no thanks and wish them well. You were probably dealing with PETA tree huggers and they ain't much on knives. They're evil!!!

Don't let it get you down too long,
Carey

Been there, done that with a different product and crowd. I decided that if I and my wares weren't something the crowd would regularly seek out, I would just say no thanks and wish them well. You were probably dealing with PETA tree huggers and they ain't much on knives. They're evil!!!

Don't let it get you down too long,
Carey

Well said Carey

Agree with the above.
A quick, inexpensive lesson perhaps?
Nice of you to donate something to the auction though.
Dozier

Try doing something similar, except for the VFW, American Legion, Ducks/Trout/Whitetails Unlimited, archery club, biker/snowmobile/ski club, etc. All good causes and I bet they'd love it.

Back