Heat Treat Recipes/Instructions

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
Now that I got my oven going I was trying to find the way to HT O-1 and 1095.
I have been looking but was wondering if there is a website that lists all the steels along with temps and times for the correct HT also with heat and times to temper with different Hardnesses?
Also what oils and temps for quench?

I also thought maybe we could start a sticky with this info so its easier to find, including the different oils used like canola.

Thanks for any help.

Ernie,

I've never used O1, but have made several from 1095 and 1084. My process is as follows:

3 stage normalization (to reduce the grain size a bit) - 1st 1400 degrees, air cool; 2nd 1350, air cool; 3rd 1300, air cool
Heat treat - heat to 1450ish, which is a bit above non-megnatic (thermocouple on kiln not very accurate) and soak for a minute or two at most
Quench - peanut oil
2 temper cycles at 475 for 2 hours each

Not really sure if the triple normalization does anything beyond the first cycle, but it's what i've been doing for awhile and seems to work for me. Same thing on the temper cycles.

edit:

Forgot to add that I heat the peanut oil to around 110-120.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ernie
I have a bunch of heat treat papers but they are copy righted so i will not post them but if you send me your email i would be happy to forward them to you.

Bob

Ernie
I have a bunch of heat treat papers but they are copy righted so i will not post them but if you send me your email i would be happy to forward them to you.

Bob

PM on the way!!

Thanks for all the info so far guys, I might be attempting some heat treating this weekend.

Back